Got my loading dies and some bullets today

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Teddydog

Got my loading dies and some bullets today

Post by Teddydog »

My birthday present from Midway USA arrived today and it had my reloading dies and 3 different bullets for loading 300: Nosler 110 gr Varmageddon; Speer 125 gr TNT; Hornady 208 gr Match. Already in my inventory I have other .308 bullets, including 147 gr FMJ for 7.62N, 150 gr FMJ M2, 168 gr SMK, etc. I have 30 fully preped cases from 5.56 from Kaleo Arms.

Oh...my 300 is a 10" pistol (someday SBR), so match accuracy clearly isn't my goal. In my one range session so far, it put the UMC 120 gr supersonic rounds into a bit over an inch at 25 yards and under 2.5 at 50 (reflex sight, my bad eyes). I also intend some day to have a suppressor for it, but not today. My initial goal is to make some inexpensive "blasting and range" ammo, probably with the 147/150s. I will also want to make a pretty accurate varmint load with the 110s and 125s. I have quite a few different powders, including Lil Gun and both H110 and W296. I have seen load data for all of these across all of my bullet options, so it is really just a matter of starting somewhere. So I'm just looking for a few suggestions for starting points.

I actually have more of the 150 gr M2 bullets than I do 147 gr 7.62s and I am into them for less (8.5 cents each vs. 18). Which is likely to perform better (feeding, OAL, accuracy)? Powder prefs in this mid-range weight?

Any tips with using the 110 Nosler tipped or 125 gr Speer TNTs?

Looking forward to some loading this weekend!

Rob
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Got my loading dies and some bullets today

Post by smustian »

SEARCH the Reload section for your different bullets and see what others have posted. Lots of great info there if you are willing to do the reading.