182 gr "heavy ball" 7.62 Russian bullets for subsonics?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Teddydog

182 gr "heavy ball" 7.62 Russian bullets for subsonics?

Post by Teddydog »

I'm brand new to 300 BLK and will be loading once my pistol is up and running (then then later an SBR).

I've been doing some reading about making inexpensive "plinking" ammo. I see some have used bullets meant for 7.62x39 and of course these are light weight for supersonic loads. I've also seen some folks using pulled "light ball" bullets of around 150 gr meant for (or pulled from) 7.62x54 R. Some say size them, some say don't bother.

What about using the "heavy ball" bullets from 7.62x54R? These are about 182 (or 188 gr). Can these be used for subsonic loads that will feed in an AR? Goal would be for "cheap" rounds to play with subsonic and I have a couple tins of of the heavy ball that I paid about 9 and 10 cents per round.

Rob
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: 182 gr "heavy ball" 7.62 Russian bullets for subsonics?

Post by Whole Bunches »

I shoot unsized pulled 7.62x39 124gr bullets in the Blackout for plinking all the time with no problems except in my Noveske. The Noveske throat seems a bit tighter and sometimes the bullet sticks in the throat before the round is fully chambered. I suppose I could seat the bullet a bit deeper for use in the Noveske, but I have plenty of other .308" bullets I can use in that rifle that cause no chambering problems.

I measure throat wear in the Blackout and have found no more wear with the .310-.311" bullets than with .308" bullets.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

I used a bunch of these awhile ago. Don't remember where I got them.

Anyway they mostly mic'ed at .3095" and most loaded fine. Some, depending on the brass, were a little fat and didn't chamber too well.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

The cheap stuff is usually steel jacketed. I try and avoid those.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

golfindia wrote:The cheap stuff is usually steel jacketed. I try and avoid those.
+1, some gun rag did a test on the steel jacketed ammo for a 223 AR a while back, barrel was a smooth bore after 3 or 4K rounds if I remember right.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.