308 bolt action subsonic?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

taymag
Silent Operator

308 bolt action subsonic?

Post by taymag »

I am extremely unfamiliar with 308 rounds.

I have semi-mastered my 9mm and 300blk loads over the past few months thanks to you guys and want to get down to business with my Remington 700 308

Also, for people that shoot 308 suppressed, is it common to shoot 308 subsonic? Just looking for some direction... Thanks
orbitup
Silent But Deadly

Re: 308 bolt action subsonic?

Post by orbitup »

I messed with it some, it's not worth the trouble. Especially if you have a blackout.

If you have a 1:10 twist barrel then you may be able to work something up.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

Becore i got my 300 blk i fiddled with them a bit. Have a savage 1-10 twist and was able to get them to stabilize ok with ok ish accuracy (1 1/2" roughly) at 100. With rmr plated bullets. They fouled my barrel after a while then accuracy went to crap. People with more knowledge than me all were recommending trailboss powder because of its bulk density and it did work well considering 308 isnt great for subsonic. Was a pita to find though. After i bought my 300 i have never bothered with it since. I just save my trailboss for super quiet loads in the blackout. If you do consider going down the road to 308 subsonics just take all precautions to prevent stuck rounds. Work loads down. All testing without suppressor etc. This may be alot you already know but i like to pass on what little knowledge i have and that smarter people have given to me. Hope it doesnt sound like im trying to dissuade you. Just sharing my experience. To ecjo what orbitup said....if you have a blackout, its not worth the trouble. For me at least. :mrgreen:
anotherkelley
Silent But Deadly

Post by anotherkelley »

For a while AAC was selling a M700 barrel chambered in 308 with a 1-8 twist bore. I built a rifle with one, but like others have already said, it's just not as ideal as the same rifle chambered in 300blk - for subs. The case capacity is way beyond what's necessary to get a projectile up to 1050fps and it limits the safe powder choices to do so.

I have loaded 100gr XTPs with trail boss for my 308, played around with seating depth a little, but to make a long story short- the blackout does it way better, with way less powder, and with a far greater variety of powder choices.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

9.0gr of Red Dot worked pretty well with 150gr-168gr bullets but I didnt really pursue it after I assembled my first blackout
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Back a few years ago when powder was scarce I played with my Savage Hog Hunter .308. 208's and 10.5gns of Trailboss yielded right around 1000fps and held under 2" @ 100yrds. Tried some 220's, they were stable @ 50yrds but keyholed real bad at 100. Never really messed with it much after that.
madmax
Silent Operator

Post by madmax »

The only reason I shoot more .300BLK than .308 subs is that my AR eats them way faster--don't get a slidefire stock! I love .308 subs in all my bolt guns and M1A (which, with subs, is basically a straight pull bolt gun). With a can, they are stupid quiet, like a muffled sneeze. I only ever shoot supers now to sight in for hunting, and to hunt. Subs are just so much fun to shoot. 1/10 twist is fine with 198s and 220s, coated, from Leatherhead and/or Eggleston over RedDot (YMMV). Great way to get new shooters/kids into it, practice for elk season (not for hunting...) and just enjoying plinking without hearing protection. When the steel at 100-200 yards is louder than the shot (and almost a second later), well, you just have to smile. Easy to load (I don't open the primer holes, add filler, or do anything different than supers--just different powder and pills) and easy to shoot. Usual caveats: work DOWN, test without can first on each and every gun, go slow and always ensure the bullet comes out before loading the next one.
Madmax
g22rmr
Silent But Deadly

Post by g22rmr »

I use 10.0 grains of trailboss which yield's 1023fps with a 175 smk in my 23" bbl .308 GA Precision rifle. Accuracy isn't amazing but the lack of sound definitely is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQJ55TEhSfo
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

I run a pretty good load through my Encore. It's stupid quiet and has decent accuracy at 100 yards. Pill shows to be stable.
10gr Trail Boss
190 gr Nos Blem
Rem 9-1/2
2.75" COAL
1017 fps avg.
it's a Pro Hunter barrel cut to 22" and threaded. Speed checked with supressor on.
10ring1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 10ring1 »

Trailboss is where it's at for 308 subs. As stated by others, once I got my first blk, I never went any further with 308 sub