Hornady LNL AP Ammo Plant Press

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

RaiderUSMC11

Hornady LNL AP Ammo Plant Press

Post by RaiderUSMC11 »

Image Image Image Image I have upgrade from a Lee Single stage press to the Hornady LNL AP Ammo Plant. I have been loading 300 Blackout with it Since I bought the rifle bullet feeder and 30 Caliber conversion kit for it. The only thing is that the 300 Blackout case is too short to active the bullet feeder die, So you have to put the bullets on by hand. I can reload about 500-600 rounds per hour. This is the best progressive press out on the market and its worth the money.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0yRF0bmPGCeUKrppB-KsGg
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady LNL AP Ammo Plant Press

Post by polizei1 »

Glad you like it, but definitely not the best. Get a Dillon next, you won't regret it! :mrgreen:
RaiderUSMC11

Post by RaiderUSMC11 »

NO I will regret it. Dillon is way over priced for what you get plus its blue and i don't like blue. I can do every caliber with my Hornady Ammo Plant and it cost half as much as a Dillon. Hornady customer service is super, I have only had one issue with my Case Prep Center called them up told them about it they said we will email you a return label. I boxed it up mailed it Monday morning I got it back the following Thursday. Hornady stand behind there products and other than that one issue I have not had any problems with there products.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

RaiderUSMC11 wrote:NO I will regret it. Dillon is way over priced for what you get plus its blue and i don't like blue. I can do every caliber with my Hornady Ammo Plant and it cost half as much as a Dillon. Hornady customer service is super, I have only had one issue with my Case Prep Center called them up told them about it they said we will email you a return label. I boxed it up mailed it Monday morning I got it back the following Thursday. Hornady stand behind there products and other than that one issue I have not had any problems with there products.
Have you used a Dillon? With a comment like that I doubt it...
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Best, dunno.

I have a LNL AP, but no case feeder. I use the bullet feeder dies with the tubes for pistol. For the amount of money I've got in it, it's an acceptable time saving solution. I used a blue progressive before I got the hornady. I like the hornady powder measure and PTX/funnel setup better. The Dillon measure is picky with fine ball powder. like the die bushings better than the Dillon plates. I like the spent primer disposal system better on the hornady. Negatives of the hornady; the sunofabitching pawls. If I prime on the press (that's the whole point) I am constantly fiddling with the pawls to keep the primer ram centered on the case. Primer slide. It must be kept meticulously clean with Qtips or mayhem ensues. Honestly, I don't think the LNL is that much cheaper than a Dillon. Heck, I probably have $400 in shell plates alone. To each their own, but I don't regret getting a hornady.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i have the LNL AP, but no bullet feeder. just the case feeder. very happy with it for what i've got invested.

the only reason i didnt go with the bullet feeder is caliber change difficulty. not worth the hassle from waht i read. i can hand feed bullets into the cases at the rate of a couple hundred an hour, so no real sweat.

i do wish the bushings were a bit cheaper, but for the ease of swapping, tis worth the extra couple $$ to have a set for each caliber

i do need to get some more powder drop tubes - theres a huge tip for ya - set one up for each caliber, it'll save ya a LOT of time on caliber changes if all you have to do is drop the properly adjusted powder die in and set the dispenser on top.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
RaiderUSMC11

Post by RaiderUSMC11 »

gunguy wrote:
RaiderUSMC11 wrote:NO I will regret it. Dillon is way over priced for what you get plus its blue and i don't like blue. I can do every caliber with my Hornady Ammo Plant and it cost half as much as a Dillon. Hornady customer service is super, I have only had one issue with my Case Prep Center called them up told them about it they said we will email you a return label. I boxed it up mailed it Monday morning I got it back the following Thursday. Hornady stand behind there products and other than that one issue I have not had any problems with there products.
Have you used a Dillon? With a comment like that I doubt it...
YES I have used one I was NOT impressed by the change over, it takes way to long and you have to buy a conversation kit OR TOOL HEAD as they call it for every caliber you want to reload! My neighbor who has more money than he knows what to do with bought one, he showed it to me and told me how much he spent its way way more than I spent on my setup. I love my Hornady LNL Ammo Plant it does every thing I need it to do. I have 4 powder Tubes, One for 9mm, one for 45ACP, one for .223/5.56 and one for all 30 Caliber rounds. I went to Inline Fabrications website and got the powder drop tube holder and there Primer tube holder and mounted them on the wall next to my reloading bench. When I bought the Ammo Plant it came with 15 LNL bushings in the box. Plus if your a Team Hornday member they have sales and you can get a 10 pack for like half off when they send out sales notifications.
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

gunguy wrote:Have you used a Dillon? With a comment like that I doubt it...
The real question is have you used a Homady LnL? It amazes me how many people on forums tell everyone in the world to go blue but they have never used the competition. Good realistic read if you have time - http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLee ... arison.pdf
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

themonk wrote:
The real question is have you used a Homady LnL? It amazes me how many people on forums tell everyone in the world to go blue but they have never used the competition. Good realistic read if you have time - http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLee ... arison.pdf
Not the Hornady lnl, and but I had one of the Single stage presses and didn't really care for it. Not saying one is better than the other, but I won't be getting good rid of my Dillon. As far as caliber changes, just did one in less than 10 minutes. Customer service counts for a lot in my book. I messed up some parts forcing a shell and Dillon had me new parts on the way free of charge in two days to my door.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

gunguy wrote:
themonk wrote:
Not the Hornady lnl, and but I had one of the Single stage presses and didn't really care for it. Not saying one is better than the other, but I won't be getting good rid of my Dillon. As far as caliber changes, just did one in less than 10 minutes. Customer service counts for a lot in my book. I messed up some parts forcing a shell and Dillon had me new parts on the way free of charge in two days to my door.
Hornady customer service is the same. You call with an issue, they send you a replacement part for free. They have spend an hour on the phone with me troubleshooting an issue that was totally my fault and not theirs. My nephew cleaned out a powder measure with break cleaner, the plastic hopper doesn't like break cleaner and essentially melted - they sent a new one.

My point is, its not 20 years ago, Dillon has competition now and all the old hats that say "buy blue and never look back" need to stop putting down the competition without having used it because they dont know what they are talking about. Their are pluses and minuses to both systems but for the money you cant beat Hornady.

PS - You like Honady ammo? It was developed on a Honady press.