The Maker Bullet project

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: The Maker Bullet project

Post by rebel »

TB leaves no room at all.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

rebel wrote:TB leaves no room at all.
How does the light weight function in an AR?
If it does, what powder?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I have only shot these with Trail Boss, which won't function an AR. Given the smooth, step down round nose and loaded rather long,( it's a short bullet) I'd say they would feed OK. Shooting them single shot or bolt is very enjoyable with a fast, quiet powder though.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It feeds just fine.

This bullet was specifically developed for hand fed sub-sonic loads, but.......................

I had it running at <1000 fps 7" barrel suppressed. After about five rounds I had to use the forward assist to chamber a round. Just not enough chamber pressure to burn the powder. There was so much unburned powder blowing back I stopped firing.

There are 110 grain tipped and hollow point high velocity bullets made by Maker Bullets on their website.

PLEASE keep in mind some of the stuff we are getting/sharing is at a concept stage. Will it work, is there enough interest, will it make sense for both the manufacturer and the end user.

So knowing how members of this forum are :roll: I tried it in an AR both as a sub and a super, yes it will cycle.

Yes, it will come apart at high velocities/spin rates. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Just a brief update with a little history. Stability has been the biggest issue that got this going a few months ago. No posts does not mean no progress.

First edition bullet, I pulled out some very fast powder and this was the best I could get at 100 yards. The faster the powder, the better the stability appeeared. This was N105 in a 1/6 twist

This was N120, in a 1/10 twist

This is the newest version shot at 200 yards in a 1/10 twist. Group is 5" outside to outside and about two inches wide.

Close up of the same holes.

Here is fifty yards from the 1/10. The paper was unsupported so there was tearing. The grease marks are round. That was about 7/8" outside to outside.

I think I have a target at 200 yards in a fast twist checking for stability. Sadly, I might have chucked it at the range as I could not find it. Bottom line the bullets were stable. I will post it if I have it, or shoot another. I hope to do some kind of expansion test at 200 and that will take priority if I can.

Just wanted to let folks know the refinement continues.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Had a chance to check expansion on the Maker 220 today.

Top track bullet performed as expected. 850 fps at the muzzle, probably +/- 820 on impact at 50 yards. Note bullet just broke the gel at 17"
Bottom track, complete failure at 710 fps at muzzle, guessing maybe 680 at impact. Bullet was recovered and picture is below

Same track on bottom, different angle you can see the spiral cut of the petals. The other track is from a 155 Amax. You can see the difference in the wound channels.

Top is Maker 680 fps, no expansion. center 155 Amax 1440 FPS yawed or tumble, botom Maker 820 fps.

Side view. Maker, Amax, Maker.

Exit view left to right. Maker, Amax, Maker

This is the Maker that did not expand. Looks like it was just a little to slow, it started to deform, just not enough velocity.

If you can believe ballistic calculators 1000 fps at the muzzle, should have you above 800 fps out to 400 yards.

When I get a chance. I will repeat this with a normal load 200 yards and see what we get.
makerbullets

Post by makerbullets »

Nice testing Dellet. I am happy with this since the 220's were built for stability testing first. We can tune it for lower velocity expansion if needed. My thoughts have always been around the round being loaded around 1050 fps in a 16" AR. This way, if the round was loaded in an 8" SBR, we would still be above 900 at the muzzle. At 100 yds, we would still be above 800 fps and would still expand. My assumption has always been that most people don't hunt with a 45acp beyond 100yds so that was our goal with blackout. We also did this with the assumption we were building for commercial loading of a single standard round. I think what I have learned is that there is probably a few sub markets within the blackout subsonic market. I see loads for 16" guns, SBR's, and bolt guns. We can build rounds tuned for each application. I would like to hear where you all would like to see us go with this. Since Dellet has so many options to test with, I believe any stability issues have been put to rest. The 220's seem to be flying true out of his 1:10 twist. Since most 300blk are 1:8 or faster, I think we can pursue accuracy improvements. My feeling is that accuracy in subs is never going to be as good as supers. The current mil specs we are being give require 2 moa @100. I think this can be achieved consistently with the proper powder and loading procedures. We are working with Shooters World to use their Blackout D063-02 powder to meet this goal. The powder is comparably inexpensive and readily available. Let me know what you think. If you want to see more specific testing or you disagree with my assumptions let me know. I am willing to follow this wherever you want it to go. Some members have received 110, 125, and 150 supers to test. I have sent some light 110gr subs for testing as well as 180,200& 220 subs. I am in this far, so let's see where this goes. Thanks for your support and working with us to define your needs and expectations. Paul
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Supers up for testing next Paul, I'm tired of this quiet stuff :lol: I like the way your 150 looks and will start with that first.
Going to load up some of the 110 subs for the Handi to take next time I Groundhog hunt. If I get a close shot, I'll post pics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:Supers up for testing next Paul, I'm tired of this quiet stuff :lol: I like the way your 150 looks and will start with that first.
Going to load up some of the 110 subs for the Handi to take next time I Groundhog hunt. If I get a close shot, I'll post pics.
Same here. I'm going to try the 150's either this week or next. Keep meaning to get around to it, and then life gets in the way.
aaholland

Post by aaholland »

rebel wrote:Supers up for testing next Paul, I'm tired of this quiet stuff :lol: I like the way your 150 looks and will start with that first.
I am going to have to get some 110s for my handi rifle too.

Out of stock :cry: