The Maker Bullet project

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: The Maker Bullet project

Post by dellet »

Needed to take a break from subs so decided to start on the 130 TREX. So far so good.

18.2 grains of 296 averaged 2150 fps, in a 16" barrel. This load was 18.5

130 Maker TREX.
18.5 grains 296
7 1/2 Rem primer
2.195" col
Norma brass.

18" AR, bipod and rear squeeze bag, off bench, X12 optic.

Worth mentioning ammo was ambient temp of 42.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

dellet wrote:Needed to take a break from subs so decided to start on the 130 TREX. So far so good.

130 Maker TREX.
18.5 grains 296
7 1/2 Rem primer
2.195" col
Norma brass.

OUTSTANDING group! that would be a great group for me at 100yds. Is that a Wilson barrel?
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TreeTopFlier wrote:
dellet wrote:Needed to take a break from subs so decided to start on the 130 TREX. So far so good.

130 Maker TREX.
18.5 grains 296
7 1/2 Rem primer
2.195" col
Norma brass.

OUTSTANDING group! that would be a great group for me at 100yds. Is that a Wilson barrel?
Made by Xcaliber, I have a couple of their barrels. They are great to work with, get it how you want it starting at $250.
http://www.x-caliber.net/

On a side note, they are the guy's that introduced me to Paul.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

dellet wrote:
TreeTopFlier wrote:

130 Maker TREX.
18.5 grains 296
7 1/2 Rem primer
2.195" col
Norma brass.

Made by Xcaliber, I have a couple of their barrels. They are great to work with, get it how you want it starting at $250.
http://www.x-caliber.net/

On a side note, they are the guy's that introduced me to Paul.
Wow thats a lot of barrel for that price...not in the market now but I want to be. Im book marking those guys, thanks!

PS, I havent been following this thread as close as I should have been...lost of good work in here guys!
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
jruff002

Post by jruff002 »

Well i finally got to put the 200 grain expanding Maker bullet to work. Shot a doe yesterday evening, didn't get the broadside shot i hoped, she was facing me approx 40 yards, i aimed center mass which struck her about 2-3 inches above her brisket hair part on front of her chest (gun sighted in at 70 yards), she dropped and then got back to her feet and went approx 15-20 yards and expired. Didn't notice much blood but that's typically where they start to bleed and obviously the bullet didn't exit, was very pleased. sorry i don't have the load data on me, i've chrono'd my load and moving around 970 fps, i live in AR and elevation approx 1500. i can post data later if anyone interested, Paul had given me his load data as i shoot the ruger american 16" and said he had 3 of em', i tweeked a little but not much. i haven't patterned past 70 yards, but at 70 yards it cuts bullet holes and at a $1, i haven't seen the need to pattern at 100 cuz it's shooting atleast 3/4 inch and i'm not going to take a kill shot past 100, easily shooting 1.5 moa at 100, good nuf' for me. Also, can't say enough of how great Paul is i had just called him on phone and he spilled everything he could tell me and didn't hesitate to answer any questions i had. sorry i didn't get pics it was 80 degrees yesterday and rushed to get her skinned, i did look for the bullet and couldn't find in my circumstances, i did see it but a big hole in the stomach and felt around a little but couldn't find it. i will be shooting another soon broadside and hopefully can provide pics/bullet recovery. Just wanted to post this as when i bought these i was looking for a hunting bullet and info and it's lacking finding good info for what i was researching.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Reopened my notes on the makers yesterday and got back to getting them figured out. These are still the 200gn Rex gen 2 which I don't see listed on Paul's website anymore so by the time I get them all dialed in I'll start on his latest version. I have enough left to get me through the rest of development and deer season this year though hopefully. I went back to 1680, don't shoot me dellet, and was able to get some decent groupings out of it and a single digit SD. I was shooting steel so it made for pretty bullets but not able to look for any tail waggle.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Had to find an excuse to try out the new magnetospeed so I decided to do more tinkering with the Maker's, bullet and bourbon type. Decided to give AA9 another go and boy am I glad I did. The bullets grouped better, shots were quieter, and the recoil impulse was noticeably less than my 1680 loads.

These were shot out of my 9" SBR and omega using a bipod and my 4x ACOG at 200yds. I didn't have any notecards handy but I think all five would have made it on to it. The recoil was tame enough that I was able to watch the bullet contrail through the optic before impact.

Looking forward to being able to put these to test on meat, I've let a lot of deer walk so far this season but with the end of the year quickly approaching, my patience in waning. Now hopefully Paul can get some more of these things back in stock soon.

1041 SD 3.19 ES 7
*EDIT* sorry for the gigantic pictures, still trying to figure out imgur

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That looks pretty good for 200.

Interesting to see the petal shape on the steel, I would say they are hitting point on.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

You would think at that distance and trajectory they would have to be impacting at a decent downward angle but the petals all look pretty symmetrical and the and the paint chips don't show it either. I know the rainbow I was seeing through the optic was pretty impressive though.

I was mostly shooting that far for shits and giggles and to get an idea of how far off my reticle subtentions are and would never push this round that far for any practical purpose unless my or my family's lives depended on it but I was still pretty impressed with the authority it hit the steel with.
ggilmoreinbox

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

Here comes a deep thread resurrection...

Long story long for some background, got my first suppressor last year (Liberty Mystic X) First host was 5.5" 9mm AR. Disappointed in sound of anything run through it. Was new to the whole action/port noise experience.

Next Host was 16" .357 Handi-Rifle. WOW! Hollywood quiet with handload of Titegroup powder & 180g XTP. See testing here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d-uEAOg7VE

Next Host was 8.3" 300blk AR Once again disappointed in sound levels of anything that would cycle. So...

As a lefty and looking for a really quiet repeater I built a NON-gas 10" 300blk pump action AR as host for the Mystic. Talked to Paul at maker and decided to try 190g Rex.

Been working up loads and here's the question for Maker bullet shooters...Is the Maker an inherently noisy bullet in flight due to length/shape/construction? I've run from 920fps to 1040fps with my go to Titegroup powder and while all clearly subsonic I can't tell much difference in sound with any. It seems like a downrange sound but not like a sonic crack. Not at all Hollywood quiet like the above noted 180g xtp .357's

Looking for experience and insight before I burn through too many bullets or powders