300 blackout load for suppressor, whats the quietest powder?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 blackout load for suppressor, whats the quietest powder?

Post by Dr.Phil »

brut28481 wrote:For me, 10.5" barrel, JP Silent Capture Spring, SLR Adjustable gas block, AA#9 is the cleanest and quietest. I have tried IMR 4198, 4227, 1680, & Reloader 7.
AA#9 is super fast and is an effective powder, but one needs to be really careful with it.
AA#9 goes from perfectly fine to crazy high pressures very quickly. (Sometimes as little as 1 grain.)
Just ask dellet about his experience... :shock:
viewtopic.php?t=97062
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
workky

Post by workky »

One thing we have not spoken of when reloading and whatnot is the twist rate of your barrel

I'm running a 8.5 inch 1/7 twist barrel ,gas gun
I appreciate everyone's input
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

Dr.Phil wrote:
brut28481 wrote:For me, 10.5" barrel, JP Silent Capture Spring, SLR Adjustable gas block, AA#9 is the cleanest and quietest. I have tried IMR 4198, 4227, 1680, & Reloader 7.
AA#9 is super fast and is an effective powder, but one needs to be really careful with it.
AA#9 goes from perfectly fine to crazy high pressures very quickly. (Sometimes as little as 1 grain.)
viewtopic.php?t=97062
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

IMR 4227 is the best powder I have found for my combination. I have metered it against other powders and it is the quietest with my 8.5" barrel and my F1 silencer. It is also VERY reliable with my setup.

I would look at Lil'Gun. It really is a great powder that works well with jacketed bullets. I quit using it because it doesn't play nice with cast bullets.

I have tried H4198 and although it wasn't bad it was temperature sensitive.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

11.0 gr Reloder 7, 220 gr Sierra Match HPBT, 2.175 OAL, CCI small rifle primer, just enough bell to get the bullet in, just enough crimp to take the bell out. Not the cheapest but cycles every time in my SBR and my 16" carbine.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Glad this topic pulled up in my search because I am on the hunt for the most quiet combo in my sbr.

Dolomite Supafly, I have question.

Does your suppressor have a lot of FRP, and if not, my next question is going to be, what your expansion chamber dimensions are?

I'm currently waiting on the paperwork for my third f1 and obviously, I want to get this right.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

r.tenorio671 wrote:
Dr.Phil wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=97062
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Nothing a little duct tape didn't fix right?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
brut28481

Post by brut28481 »

Dr.Phil wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=97062
Wow! Thanks for the heads up!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

John A. wrote:Glad this topic pulled up in my search because I am on the hunt for the most quiet combo in my sbr.

Dolomite Supafly, I have question.

Does your suppressor have a lot of FRP, and if not, my next question is going to be, what your expansion chamber dimensions are?

I'm currently waiting on the paperwork for my third f1 and obviously, I want to get this right.
It is basically a silencer inside a silencer. The inner tube is 1.25" OD and the outer tube is 1.47 ID. The inner tube contains all the baffles and what would be a blast chamber roughly 1" long before the first baffle. The blast chamber of the inner tube is drilled and vents gases into the space between the inner and outer tubes. This makes for a HUGE blast chamber and any gas left over is handled by the baffles. The outer tube is sandwiched between the end caps that are threaded into the inner tube.

The length is ~8" and it weighs right at a pound.

I have no first round pop and it handles supersonic loads pretty well too. With my Trail Boss, or other super fast pistol powders, all you hear is the hammer fall. I had to change the bullets I was using because some fly with a lot of noise and noise is resistance. I loved NOE's 31165 bullet because it fed well and worked well for subsonic loads. I ran them over the chronograph for when my silencer was approved. I built the silencer then went out and shot some of those loads and the noise from the bullet flying was loud. So I went in and loaded up some SMKs and no noise. So I started experimenting with different bullets and the Lee 230g flies very quietly but you can only shoot them if they are coated. The lube grooves are what are causing the flight noise and with a subsonic bullet it is possible the bullet's flight noise will outrun the noisy bullet. I have a mold coming that has no lube grooves and should fly very stealthily.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
emerson
Silent Operator

Post by emerson »

5744 has the lowest sound signature with heavy bullets and a suppressor.
On Target Ammunition