Hornady 208 ELD M, Vihtavuori N120 Subsonic

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Hornady 208 ELD M, Vihtavuori N120 Subsonic

Post by dellet »

Started on a new load this weekend, looking good so far, only 50 yards but I think it will work.

10.5 grains Vihtavuori N120
208 grain Hornady ELD M
2.250 COL
1.515 CTBO
18" carbine gas 1/10 twist Xcaliber barrel

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 208 ELD M, Vihtavuori N120 Subsonic

Post by Dr.Phil »

dellet wrote:Started on a new load this weekend, looking good so far, only 50 yards but I think it will work.

208 grain Hornady ELD M
2.250 COL
1.515 CTBO
Thanks for posting!

Damn, I really need to get my hands on some N120.
Is it as good as A1680 for supersonic loads?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dr.Phil wrote:
dellet wrote:Started on a new load this weekend, looking good so far, only 50 yards but I think it will work.

208 grain Hornady ELD M
2.250 COL
1.515 CTBO
Thanks for posting!

Damn, I really need to get my hands on some N120.
Is it as good as A1680 for supersonic loads?
I have not tried anything super yet. I am still trying to squeak all I can for velocity under the 150's. It's a lot bulkier than 1680 and I think max velocity will be around 1900 without a lot of compression and I don't know how it responds yet.

So far I really like the powder. Burns cleaner than most. A side note is that the sd/es should be slightly better. The last shot at 1114 fps was a round that jammed on feeding so I think it pushed back in the case. I forgot to open up the gas block switching from supers. :x Shot that round last of the five. It was the highest shot and velocity.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Wait - carbine gas, 18 inch, 208 bullets, subsonic? It can't be - it just won't work - it can't cuz the internet commandos said it wouldn't :mrgreen:
Edit - All you newcomers to the cartridge, please take notice of what is being done here and compare that to what folks have said CAN be done. There is a bit of difference there. Never think you are a supers only guy because of carbine length gas.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:Wait - carbine gas, 18 inch, 208 bullets, subsonic? It can't be - it just won't work - it can't cuz the internet commandos said it wouldn't :mrgreen:
Edit - All you newcomers to the cartridge, please take notice of what is being done here and compare that to what folks have said CAN be done. There is a bit of difference there. Never think you are a supers only guy because of carbine length gas.
Two other things worth noting;

Gas port size is 110, that is smaller than a lot of pistol gas ports. Works fine with a standard carbine buffer and spring.

There is always a lot of discussion about twist rates, there is a lot of safety in running a 1/8 or faster. For most people they will not see a difference between 1/8 or 1/7. I had this done as a 1/10, not advisable for long bullets moving slow, but with care it can be done.

Again the cartridge is much more forgiving than people think, mostly because they don't think.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

sh!t... you mean now we have to THINK too? oye! :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

Thanks for posting. Still trying to get my hands on N120 and your top target makes me think my wait may not be in vein.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

dellet wrote:I have not tried anything super yet. I am still trying to squeak all I can for velocity under the 150's. It's a lot bulkier than 1680 and I think max velocity will be around 1900 without a lot of compression and I don't know how it responds yet.

So far I really like the powder. Burns cleaner than most. A side note is that the sd/es should be slightly better. The last shot at 1114 fps was a round that jammed on feeding so I think it pushed back in the case. I forgot to open up the gas block switching from supers. :x Shot that round last of the five. It was the highest shot and velocity.
Folks in this forum are going to be very interested when they learn about your supersonic N120 test results...

(Preview)
Dellet's initial test results were exactly what he predicted. (1,899 fps avg) 8)
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
KnotTouble

Post by KnotTouble »

thank you so much for this info dellet & Dr Phil, tagged for my 16" 1:10 stainless(spun & chambered local to me) franken-blkout,(80% lower yada yada). Very proud of the barrel (heart)(unsuppressed) that i helped (or got in the way) to produce.

Anyway, your load development will help immensely as it is the direction i was headed with this build, very cool!

Thanks again,

Dave
the eyes only see what the mind is prepared to comprehend --Henri Bergson
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Looks like it will work for supers. Again only 50 yards. Outside to outside measurement at the top. No reason this load won't go sub MOA.

This build was done with supers and distance in mind, that was the reason for the 1/10 twist. The difference in drift at 500 yards will be about 3 inches less than a 1/7 on this load. But that's a future thread, here I just wanted to share the subsonic capabilities.