New to loading for the 300 - best powder for 12.5" bbl 110 gr Black Tip?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

curious sam
Silent But Deadly

New to loading for the 300 - best powder for 12.5" bbl 110 gr Black Tip?

Post by curious sam »

That about says it - I've got a 12.5" bbl, 110 gr barnes black tip, and need to load up some ammo. I have a 550 and need to buy all the loading dies etc, any and all suggestions welcome.

I haven't loaded 300 ammo before. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

How much does bbl length matter past 9" these days? Has technology marched on to provide any powders that make 12" the point of diminishing returns?

What sort of accuracy are you guys seeing at 200-ish yards?
Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to loading for the 300 - best powder for 12.5" bbl 110 gr Black Tip?

Post by Alex Wilson »

curious sam wrote:That about says it - I've got a 12.5" bbl, 110 gr barnes black tip, and need to load up some ammo. I have a 550 and need to buy all the loading dies etc, any and all suggestions welcome.

I haven't loaded 300 ammo before. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

How much does bbl length matter past 9" these days? Has technology marched on to provide any powders that make 12" the point of diminishing returns?

What sort of accuracy are you guys seeing at 200-ish yards?
H110 or W296 for that bullet weight. Barrel length doesn't matter much with blackout. One of its +'s. Accuracy depends on your components. I have 2 different blackouts. A SOTA upper that shoots very well. I also have a Noveske 12in that shoots extremely well. I run an Acog/aimpoint on them so 200yd accuracy aren't thier strong points. I've got no complaints. Never shot factory ammo out of either. Got them to reload

The cartridge is inherently accurate. You don't hear many people say they aren't getting good accuracy. If they do, it's a problem with barrel/bolt
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Search the Handloading Section and you will get all the information which you seek Weedhopper. Consult a reloading manual or online data to get the powder min/max, oal, etc. Load test loads in ladder fashion and go to the range and find out what works best in YOUR rifle. W296/H110 like to be run in the top levels in the min/max range so there is not a lot of air gap.
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

Gracias. I figured the 12" bbl wouldn't get me much extra but its flush with the end of the stock so it is what it is there.

I've got high hopes accuracy wise, ordered a Krieger stainless bbl with 1:7.5 twist. I figured I'll shoot mainly supers but that should get me a little extra insurance for 220 SMKs.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2014 ... TAC-TX.pdf

straight from the horses mouth. barnes data for the 110gr blacktip.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

I'll be curious to see what velocity I get out of my particular barrel.