CASE DRYERS

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

80hp
Silent But Deadly

CASE DRYERS

Post by 80hp »

Hornady has announced a case dryer. Its $59.99 at Midway.
A few weeks ago, I bought one of these at Wal-Mart for $28.88. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nesco-500-Wat ... P/24919945
The Hornady has a switch and 3 trays and is 400 watt.
The Nesco has no switch and 4 trays and is 500 watt.
I bought a $2.50 Christmas light timer at an after Christmas sale. I can set it for 2 hours or 4 hours so I don't have to worry, if I forget to turn it off.
With the 4 trays and 500 watts, it dried about 1300 9mm cases in 2 hours. After 2 hours of drying, they were at about 120-130 degrees F.
The only problem they have is you have to be very careful emptying the trays to avoid brass all over the floor.
I looked at some other dehydrators, but they had heating elements in the base. I didn't like the thought of water dripping on the heating element..
The Nesco just has a plain ribbed base to catch excess water, and an occasional piece of brass.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Re: CASE DRYERS

Post by tXr »

Cheaper to just use the oven, 225degrees for 15 minutes. I put the brass either on a baking flat or I put them in my aluminum reloading tray, easy enough. I use the single harbor freight tumbler and clean small batchs(25-75) at any one time.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mr.revolverguy »

Thank you I appreciate the comparison.
Self Proclaimed -- The largest independent 300 Blackout reloading database.
http://www.dayattherange.com
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i use an old deyhdrator i got at a yard sale for $5. one of these units. its got no switch, but i wired up a "hottub" timer dial switch into an outlet set into the face of my bench. works awesome.

I looked at some other dehydrators, but they had heating elements in the base. I didn't like the thought of water dripping on the heating element..
i find that if i put brass in thats still dripping wet, i end up with water spots (i'm on a well, so relatively hard water). so i pour it on a towel and give it a quick pat dry on the outside. the dryer is used to dry the inside.

my tumbler holds 5 lbs of brass, and my dryer will hold just north of 10 lbs. with smaller cases like 9mm i had to put silicon sheets down to keep the brass from wanting to fall base first through the few wider holes in the trays.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

plant.one wrote:i use an old deyhdrator i got at a yard sale for $5. one of these units. its got no switch, but i wired up a "hottub" timer dial switch into an outlet set into the face of my bench. works awesome.

i find that if i put brass in thats still dripping wet, i end up with water spots (i'm on a well, so relatively hard water). so i pour it on a towel and give it a quick pat dry on the outside. the dryer is used to dry the inside.

my tumbler holds 5 lbs of brass, and my dryer will hold just north of 10 lbs. with smaller cases like 9mm i had to put silicon sheets down to keep the brass from wanting to fall base first through the few wider holes in the trays.
Hope you dedicated it for drying brass. I would not want brass taste on my venison jerky.
elCapitan
Silent Operator

Post by elCapitan »

Here's a drip-dry option. I've found it really easy to drop them mouth down onto one of these after tumbling. $12 at Target.

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I just live in TX and plan let mother nature do it in like 30 minutes during the summer :P
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

smustian wrote:
plant.one wrote:i use an old deyhdrator i got at a yard sale for $5. one of these units. its got no switch, but i wired up a "hottub" timer dial switch into an outlet set into the face of my bench. works awesome.

Hope you dedicated it for drying brass. I would not want brass taste on my venison jerky.
lol ya thats why i tracked one down at a yard sale.

i have a smoker for making jerky in :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
Max_Spansion

Post by Max_Spansion »

I use an old dehydrator also. Works like a charm
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the summer i got mine, i think i found 3 or 4 different ones at yard sales. the lady i bought mine from told me they got it for x-mas, used it 2 or 3 times and it had been sitting since. the trays needed a trip through the dishwasher to get whatever fruit residue was left on them off, but otherwise its been flawless.