78gn LeHigh Close Quarter Bullet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Klem
Silent But Deadly

Re: 78gn LeHigh Close Quarter Bullet

Post by Klem »

I am inclined to agree with you that inertia causes premature opening of the petals.

To be fair however the baffle strike happened on the 8th round. Presumably the previous 7 were OK, at least until they exited of the can. Unfortunately I was chronographing and did not have a target board to see impacts.

May be a combination of fast powder/acceleration and RPM.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Klem wrote:I am inclined to agree with you that inertia causes premature opening of the petals.

To be fair however the baffle strike happened on the 8th round. Presumably the previous 7 were OK, at least until they exited of the can. Unfortunately I was chronographing and did not have a target board to see impacts.

One of the things I noted before was that I never had problems with the first couple rounds. First round was always point of aim, then things went progressively worse.

For what it's worth on the target I posted, the hole marked "ns" was non suppressed, "1" was the first shot suppressed, then the other four were follow ups.

The only changes made in the load was a drop in powder charge and a shorter COL.

It's a nice bullet, I'd like to get it to work, look forward to hear what you work out for a powder.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Klem wrote:I am inclined to agree with you that inertia causes premature opening of the petals.

I will say there is no rhyme or reason to what bullets do on the edge. I have fired dozens of bullets then have one become unstable. I have also had a lot of weird results with my CoD bullet. I would have them go crazy inaccurate then get 3-4 that clump together.

This tends to happen with bullets on the edge and it sounds like these are on the edge of having centrifugal force open them prematurely.

Also, I have been told by several people that they believe that if a cast bullet gets accelerated too fast it will cause the nose of the bullet deform and flatten some under the G load.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I guess we (I) dont always appreciate what happens at the instant of firing. The bullet gets spun pretty hard, pretty fast.