78gn LeHigh Close Quarter Bullet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Klem
Silent But Deadly

78gn LeHigh Close Quarter Bullet

Post by Klem »

Anyone have any experience loading and using this new bullet? (nothing in the search function).

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collection ... 1219364456
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Re: 78gn LeHigh Close Quarter Bullet

Post by batman4706 »

Biggest problem I see is that it requires a 1/10 twist and most blackout barrels are 1/7 or 1/8.
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

batman4706 wrote:Biggest problem I see is that it requires a 1/10 twist and most blackout barrels are 1/7 or 1/8.
The specs say 'minimum' twist rate 1:10. This bullet is designed for the Blackout 1:10 and faster. The Miller formula computes that it is stable out of a 1:7 barrel (Ref; JBM online).

They also sell a 79grain bullet designed for the slower twists in .308. Minimum twist rate is 1:14
http://www.lehighdefense.com/collection ... 3708742404

I tried the 78grain and it resulted in a baffle strike after 8 rounds. Load was averaging 2,464fps from a 1:7. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I had problems with them opening early, as did some others. Pull your suppressor and get a target backing that is large, at least 2'x2' and shoot it from a few feet. There is a good chance you will find a round hole in the center and what look like knife cuts on the outside edges.

I found petals behind me on the ground.

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=92631
viewtopic.php?t=94518
viewtopic.php?t=94105
viewtopic.php?t=95786
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

I had no issue from my Encore with a 1:8 twist, but a friend of mine has a 1:7 twist AR and he has seen the bullet fly apart. I have also shot the 78gr CQB from my 30 RemAR Encore(1:10 twist) and with seeing 3650fps it has no issues with the bullets coming apart. I have a feeling the Lehighs simply doesn't like the real fast twists.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
1slow01Z71
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Hmm I wonder if I could get away with it in my 6" 7 twist. It will be ran with a can 100% of time so it coming apart would not be good.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

dellet wrote:I had problems with them opening early, as did some others. Pull your suppressor and get a target backing that is large, at least 2'x2' and shoot it from a few feet. There is a good chance you will find a round hole in the center and what look like knife cuts on the outside edges.

viewtopic.php?t=94518
viewtopic.php?t=94105
viewtopic.php?t=95786
That makes perfect sense, thanks for the heads-up.

It damaged the end cap/exit hole and the last baffle but tracked normally over the chronograph 10 feet away. Had me scratching my head. One or more petals coming off with the rest of the bullet staying on track matches the symptoms perfectly.

That's it for this bullet.
JD_H

Post by JD_H »

If you're gonna shoot a 78gr bullet, why not shoot a .223?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Klem wrote:
dellet wrote:I had problems with them opening early, as did some others. Pull your suppressor and get a target backing that is large, at least 2'x2' and shoot it from a few feet. There is a good chance you will find a round hole in the center and what look like knife cuts on the outside edges.

viewtopic.php?t=94518
viewtopic.php?t=94105
viewtopic.php?t=95786
That makes perfect sense, thanks for the heads-up.

It damaged the end cap/exit hole and the last baffle but tracked normally over the chronograph 10 feet away. Had me scratching my head. One or more petals coming off with the rest of the bullet staying on track matches the symptoms perfectly.

That's it for this bullet.
I haven't given up, just had other things that were more fun to fool with. Slower twists seemed to help. I think what I will try when time permits is to work up velocity and see at what rpm they start to come apart. I know I ran them though a 1/9 with no problems.

I had also tried some other powders and the faster the the powder, the more problems I had, even if velocity was less.

Where I first confirmed the bullets were coming apart was the second time I worked with them. When setting up the chronograph, I noticed a hole in one of the legs. I confirmed ten shots, ten readings stored from the previous session. Thats when I checked the target backing and found the slices. One round hole and a slice or two more than a foot away.

Email or call Lehigh, they are very helpful. Do it soon before "SHOT".
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

JD_H wrote:If you're gonna shoot a 78gr bullet, why not shoot a .223?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGr3tGXOKRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1mQtvwEFMM