Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

Last edited by jtaylor996 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anybody have issues with the Forster size die?

Post by plant.one »

did you let the one-shot dry all the way before running it into the die? did you lube them well? or just a quick once over spray?

ive used one shot for a while now, and i always use more than i probably need. but i'm not having problems with even larger stuff like 308 or 30-06 getting stuck.

i am using lee dies & hornady dies so that may make a difference.

the only time i've had trouble with a piece of brass ALMOST getting stuck was due to under-lubing them.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Never had a problem. I use One Shot too, and occasionally, spray a shot up into the die as well.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Not enough lube, likely

Sizing ball not set deep enough so it was not clear the shoulder when you pulled the case out.

Forster dies size very close to minimum spec so they are a little tighter. Never had a problem using sizing wax.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

I just sprayed a couple of shots of one shot up in the case feeder on my LnL press. When doing pistol stuff I never use case lube at all. The sight hole in the forster die was nearly impossible to use to determine the depth of the spindle, however.

Well, I suppose when they respond I send it back and get it fixed or whatever, and just use the RCBS when it gets here. Ugh, no loading today.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I haven't had a issue since I stopped using spray lube. I use Hornady unique or Imperial sizing wax and have never had a stuck case since. Maybe I wasnt as careful as some but smearing a dab with my finger seems to work with the Forster and the RCBS SB.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

jtaylor996 wrote:I followed the setup exactly, and double check it twice. Cases were prepped properly, and lubed with one shot.

First case came out fine, but a ton of force was required. Second case ripped the head of the case off, and stuck in the die. I tried to get the spindle out, but when that failed tried to use the spindle to push the case out of the die. Now my spindle is trashed, too.

This is beyond frustrating. I've contacted Forster, and I just got an RCBS small base die on order to get me going again.

Anyone else have issues with this die?

What the hell went wrong? What did I do wrong?
Insufficient lube IMO. I use Forster dies, only times I have had issues is when I didn't use enough lube. I prefer the homemade lanolin/alcohol lube for rifle case and reserve one shot for pistol.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

I had the exact same problem with my Forster using spray lube, Frankford I think. Forster CS told me they only recommend using their own heavy lube, and sent me a free sample. It works beautifully, just a small amount on thumb & forefinger, and I've never seen a stuck case since. Got a bottle of it for around 10 bucks that will probably last mine and my childrens' lifetimes.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog. ... prevnext=1
Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hardrockshot »

If it's a lube problem, go get a bottle of pump spray lube. I use Dillon's spray lube. Spray four to five pumps into a one gallon bag. Put 150 to 200 cases into the bag. Turn the bag over about 30 seconds. Let the alcohol evaporate and load them bad boys.
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

hand application of lube is great for small numbers of cases. lets say if you're making 20-50 of them at a session. thats how i started out - using lee case lube. when i got to preping a couple hundred at a time - that got old faster than milk left on the kitchen counter!

if you're processing 500 pieces - give me the one shot! spray the hell out of them. shake em around, spray again, shake again, spray a bit more, shake a bit more, let dry for 5 mins and dump into the case feeder. then start pullin the handle!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.