Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Anybody have issues with the Forster size die?

Post by jtaylor996 »

Yes. I absolutely can't be hand processing each case... that's insane. I need something effective that I can use to lube up a couple of hundred rounds at a time, minimum.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the one thing i have noticed using One shot vs the cabela's Lanolin based lube that i tried - it seems almost impossible to over lube with One Shot.

with lanolin it was very easy to cross that line and i rapidly ended up with a bunch of hydraulic dimples in my 223 shoulders due to build up in the die body - if memory serves correctly the buildup happened well under 50 cases through the die. i had to do a full disassembly and clean the die with a brush and some solvent to get the extra goop outa there :(

said lanolin did work out great when resizing the .310 zmax through a .308 die where quite a bit of lube was needed to make the process go smoothly - but it still left a sticky mess behind.

i'm not suggesting that lanolin based lubes wont do the job - there's too many folks out there who use it successfully to even consider such a claim - i'm just saying proceed with caution if you decide to go that route.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

I just ordered up stuff to make some lanolin lube (16oz 99% isopropyl to 4oz pure liquid lanolin).

The forster die has a pressure relief hole to prevent the hydraulic dents.

Also, Forster did get back to me about the issue and I'll be sending the die their way tomorrow.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I use mostly forester dies and they are my top picks. However I have had a stuck case on my 300blkout die but that was due to in proper lube. I used to use a old lyman pad that wasn't doing what it once did. After shelving the pad I went to the imperial lube that you use your fingers to apply and haven't had it happen again. I use the imperial stuff on every caliber and I noticed a difference across the board. Not fun getting a stuck case but forester dies and customer service are great!
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

Forster got the die and said it wasn't finished properly, which makes case sticking a lot worse. So they're sending me out a new die.

Good company!
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

jtaylor996 wrote:Forster got the die and said it wasn't finished properly, which makes case sticking a lot worse. So they're sending me out a new die.

Good company!
Agreed. Mistakes happen, how they deal with it matters. Keep us updated on the result of the new die.

My Forster dies are my favorite.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

glad to hear you got some resolution on this
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.