Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 7/1/18

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 1/11/16

Post by dellet »

Dr.Phil wrote:
rebel wrote:I don't think his rifle will blend, but it slices, dices and pretty sure it could circumcise - if loaded with a double of #9 :mrgreen:
Now that is pretty funny!!!
It may be too soon though.
dellet is still trying to overcome the flinch it induced.

That is the likely source of his flyers. ;)
That target was actually before I blew things up so no flinch.

That brings up another point for the Crayola of Death thread. I was also able to repeat the powder coated loads in two different uppers..............
regrettably.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 7/1/18

Post by dellet »

I guess this belongs in this thread.

18" AR, working with a new bullet design.

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 7/1/18

Post by plant.one »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Details man. Good God, give us some details!
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Oh boy, here we go....

This should be fun.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Great Scott!

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

That load is called the Screaming Mimi! I'd take that to the groundhog field anyday. :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Bullet is an 85 grain Maker. I have had them on the bench for awhile and decided that I was not aware of anyone breaking the 3000 fps. barrier with the cartridge and thought it needed to be done.

I think a realistic number will be in the 28-2900fps in a 16" barrel. This load ran out around 2850 in a 12.5" bolt gun.

What will set this bullet apart from the other light weights is the expansion threshold. The BC of .308 lightweight bullets suck. So if they have a high expansion limit like 2300 fps, you're limited to longer barrels and 100 yards. This bullet will be suitable for short range defensive use in fast twist barrels. An example would be 2400 fps in a 1/5 hits over 340,000 rpm. So if you can get it to 2400 fps in a 7" barrel, and it doesn't grenade when it leaves the barrel, it won't expand past about 30 yards.

I think this bullet will do better than that.

Still some testing to be done, but I have not been able to make this bullet fail yet, and I emphasize yet. I need to see it hold together at 375,000 rpm past 200 yards.

Gel and accuracy tests are still in the works, maybe some tweaking of the bullet. Probably some revisions coming.

There has been a lot of new interest in the cartridge by manufacturers in the last couple years, just needed to raise the bar a bit so they don't get complacent.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Exceeding 5.56 in every way.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!