What bullet do I use to reload .300BLK (newbie) .....

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Spritey1964

What bullet do I use to reload .300BLK (newbie) .....

Post by Spritey1964 »

Hello All:

I just purchased my first AR type rifle in .300BLK and am an avid pistol reloader (Hornady AP). I am very confused on what bullet can / should be used.

Specifically, I've read I can use "any" .308 diameter bullet (aka 7.62 x 35mm). Well, the another bullet I've seen .30 cal (7.62 x 39mm / AK, I think) is listed as .308 (7.62 x 39mm). Are they interchangeable since both are of the same diameter but differ in length? Would 4/100th really make a difference? Just seat it a bit further? Similar Q's about 30/30.

The site I typically buy pistol bullets is xtremebullets.com so I am using that as the first place I go to for info. Maybe I need the "rifle version" of these guys as the info changes as inventory does. Next is the Hornady book (9th Ed).

My primary purpose for shooting is fun. Target (fun not match), learning the rifle and challenges of LD shooting. If I were to hunt, it'd have to be in another state. Right now, I would like to buy a "bunch" (1000+) of affordable bullets to dial in the scope and learn the rifle. The only kind I've seen are these:

http://www.natchezss.com/pbmbs-30-carbi ... aign=62182

Strictly on appearance, it's an elongated 9mm (similar). What are the differences between this "elongated 9mm" shape and a "rocket shaped" one (like Hornady branded)?

Lastly, for pistol; I've been using some cast lead as the pricing is quite affordable. Any issues with using lead?

For safety reasons, I've purchased factory rounds to start, and will learn to crawl / walk / jog / run with the reloading aspect of this. Thanks for your help.

Tx-

George

PS = I'm quite specific on load data v. bullet weight, use a case gauge, power cop.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Re: What bullet do I use to reload .300BLK (newbie) .....

Post by Sithlord »

Spritey1964 wrote:Hello All:

I just purchased my first AR type rifle in .300BLK and am an avid pistol reloader (Hornady AP). I am very confused on what bullet can / should be used.

Specifically, I've read I can use "any" .308 diameter bullet (aka 7.62 x 35mm). Well, the another bullet I've seen .30 cal (7.62 x 39mm / AK, I think) is listed as .308 (7.62 x 39mm). Are they interchangeable since both are of the same diameter but differ in length? Would 4/100th really make a difference? Just seat it a bit further? Similar Q's about 30/30.
The '35' in 7.62x35 and '39' in 7.62x39 refer to case length, not bullet diameter. In this case, the cases are completely different as well, with the 7.62x39 having a wider base, and thus a greater taper, than the 7.62x35 / 300 AAC Blackout.

You want to find bullets that are .308 or .309 in diameter. A 7.62x39 projectile is in the .310 to .311 diameter range (they can be used, but they have to be resized).

In an AR-style rifle, 30-30 bullets aren't what you want either - too short and round [at least for starting out - you may be able to get them to work...]
Spritey1964 wrote: The site I typically buy pistol bullets is xtremebullets.com so I am using that as the first place I go to for info. Maybe I need the "rifle version" of these guys as the info changes as inventory does. Next is the Hornady book (9th Ed).

My primary purpose for shooting is fun. Target (fun not match), learning the rifle and challenges of LD shooting. If I were to hunt, it'd have to be in another state. Right now, I would like to buy a "bunch" (1000+) of affordable bullets to dial in the scope and learn the rifle. The only kind I've seen are these:
Most any bullet made for a .308 rifle will work.
You can try these from xtreme, but they wouldn't be my first choice; as one comment says, he gets about 90% function from his AR platform with these:
http://www.xtremebullets.com/308-150-FP ... -b0500.htm

These can be used subsonic, which when you add a suppressor, it tons of fun:

http://palmettoprojectiles.com/

There are other places to get plinking ammo, but this should get you started...
Spritey1964 wrote: http://www.natchezss.com/pbmbs-30-carbi ... aign=62182

Strictly on appearance, it's an elongated 9mm (similar). What are the differences between this "elongated 9mm" shape and a "rocket shaped" one (like Hornady branded)?

Lastly, for pistol; I've been using some cast lead as the pricing is quite affordable. Any issues with using lead?

For safety reasons, I've purchased factory rounds to start, and will learn to crawl / walk / jog / run with the reloading aspect of this. Thanks for your help.

Tx-

George

PS = I'm quite specific on load data v. bullet weight, use a case gauge, power cop.
You don't want to use a 'pistol' style projectile here (in an AR platform); rocket shaped projectiles will have a better 'ballistic coefficient' than 'elongated 9mm shaped' bullets. This allows it to be more accurate at distance.

The more fat and rounded the front of the projectile, the LESS likely it will be to feed correctly into the AR platform.

Leading will only be an issue if you run suppressed. This can be mitigated with powder coating, however.
Last edited by Sithlord on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

Welcome and congrats on getting a 300 blk. Im new to the forum myself but not a complete newb to reloading 300 blk so i will answer what i can. You can use the majority of .308" projectiles. .311-.312" (like for example ak and sks diameter) are no-go. Their is a vast selectiom of bullets just make sure you use starting loads and seat depths from published data as you are starting out. I use 110-130grs for my supersonics and 225grs for my subsonics. There are alot of knowledgeable guys on here who will chime in soon im sure and help answer more of your questions. I will try to post you some links to some topics that pertain to your questions and 300 blk reloading.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=96465 This is a recent thread about starting out loading 300 blk. Has some really good info in it from very experienced guys. Sorry sithlord. Didnt mean to echo everything you were saying. I was typing between jobs and didnt realize those questions had been answered.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Every one of these except the .270 bullets are tried and true in the Blackout. Good prices and you would have a nice broad selection of weights to experiment with. The 178's would also work subsonic in most setups.

viewtopic.php?f=179&t=96490

And the slow chevy wheeler guy is a good guy to deal with :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Spritey1964

Post by Spritey1964 »

Thanks Sithlord:

You mention that the Natchez are pistol rounds (& I believe you), what makes you say that? The description says rifle.

Tx-

George
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

Where are you located? Maybe a local member could help you out and show you the ropes. If you were local to me I would show you whats up.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Spritey1964 wrote:Thanks Sithlord:

You mention that the Natchez are pistol rounds (& I believe you), what makes you say that? The description says rifle.

Tx-

George
The natchez bullets aren't for pistol - they are for a 30 carbine. I was referring to your comment that they were elongated 9mm pistol rounds.

They will fire out of a blackout; you may have feeding issues with the bullets in an AR platform.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I would stay away from the .310 type bullets and just get a .308/.30 sized bullet. I personally use nosler 110gr varmegeddon blems and 125gr tnt for supersonic loads. The 125gr tnt are significantly cheaper when bought in the 500 rnd boxes. And for subs I have used 208gr amax and 220gr smk but mostly use 190gr nosler custom competition bullets only because of price and nothing else as all 3 sub loads have worked the same.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

Hello, and welcome. Here is an excellent thread. viewtopic.php?p=927530#p927530

Listen to rebel and dellet, among several others mentioned, and you can't go wrong.

Go to the handloading section, and read the stickies at the top. Very helpful.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.