Re: Dillon XL 650 Accessories Recommendations

Post by Overton-AR »

Upgrades
- Roller bearing cam follower
- Roller handle
- Ditch the spent primer cup and get the larger bottle adapter

Add ons -
- Case feeder (absolute MUST)
- Powder check (I have one for each loading tool head)
- Lots of tool heads for processing, trimming brass
- Brass trimmer
- LOTS of primer tubes (I have 14 small tubes and its barely enough)
- Light

etc.....more and more. You have entered the vortex......
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

dellet wrote:
RDA wrote:Case feeder for sure with a 650, not much point in having a 650 without one IMO.

I like the roller handle, inline fabrication light kit, upgraded deprimer catch and live primer catch.
dellet wrote:A powder check die helps, but the intent is to tell you that you have no charge or a double charge. It's just not that accurate to warn of a low charge.
I find it very easy to adjust the Dillon powder check system to detect fairly small variations in the charge (e.g., +- 0.5 grains in 9mm).
For me a one grain window is just too big. For sure it will keep you safe, and I do use one, but it just won't keep you accurate. Probably should have been more clear on that.
Agreed, I have just seen so many say "it can only detect a no charge or a double charge" and that simply isn't the case, you can definitely set it up to get a much narrower range, one that would probably help avoid a squib or a significant overcharge. I think they are well worth the price and combined with visual inspection, improve your quality control and safety.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

thats kinda why i like having a basic powder cop with the o-ring. you get a solid idea every charge whats going on, its not just a yes/no tester.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote:thats kinda why i like having a basic powder cop with the o-ring. you get a solid idea every charge whats going on, its not just a yes/no tester.
So it can check and warn down to .01-.02 grains?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

plant.one wrote:thats kinda why i like having a basic powder cop with the o-ring. you get a solid idea every charge whats going on, its not just a yes/no tester.
You can essentially do the same thing with the Dillon powder check, visually watching where the point on the buzzer housing meets up with the V in the rod so you can see smaller variations than the buzzer would warn you. The only handicap would be the tolerances built into the machine, the density variation of the powder and the variation in the interior case dimensions (which would hold true for either system).
Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hardrockshot »

If you are going to process 556 to 300 B/O get the 1500 trim motor, forming die and tool head, it really speeds things up. I like the larger powder tube when loading rifle. Go to www.uniquetek.com and look at their accessories. Some are worth the money.
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet wrote:
i cant tell you exactly how accurate it is, but by the way you set the o-ring, your calibrated eye can detect a rather small change in powder fill level in the case. that o-rign isnt much more than a mm in diameter (or less) and you can totally see fill level differences of even part of a o-ring eh?

(stock photo)

so if you set the "good charge" point on the o-ring like you see in the photo (in relation to the top of the die, when the press is on full upstroke) if you fall below - its SUPER easy to see.

i cant say i've had to worry about over-charges - volume based meters (short of two strokes of your press) are going to have a hard time taking in more powder than the metering insert can hold. so for the most part i'm using it to make sure i dont get a partial charge or no charge at all (where you wouldnt see the o-ring rise out of the inset at all)

kinda see what i'm getting at?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

dellet wrote:
You don't have a powder measure that accurate, either! :roll:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

WalterGA wrote:
dellet wrote:
You don't have a powder measure that accurate, either! :roll:

You don't know that for sure now do you?

The point is, while a powder check is a good tool, the design is more about keeping you safe, than your loads accurate.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

Someone may have already mention this, but look into getting the strong mout for the 650. I added it to one of my 550s and it make a world of difference versus direct mount to bench. If your mounting to 3 foot bench and dont want to lean your right shoulder down to completely actuate the machine, it will lift machine bout 10 inches higher. Most importantly for me though is the machine doesnt torque or move at all because the feet are more spread apart. I didnt even mount my table to wall or floor like before. Sorry about the long rambling but it was good enough i ordered a 2nd for my other machine. One last thing. Main reason i ordered originally is so my 550 wouldnt hang down in front of bench drawers. They would have even open. +1 to everyone who said plenty of primer pickuptubes and toolhead for every caliber you will reload. You wont regret buying dillon, best customer service and very tough machines!