Primers for subs....Magnum pistol?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Primers for subs....Magnum pistol?

Post by Ben B. »

dellet wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm...Don’t believe for a minute that subs don’t operate at high pressures, most of my loads are 45,000 psi minimum. Some over 60 000.
What subsonic loads are producing pressure from 45k-60k?
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Primers for subs....Magnum pistol?

Post by dellet »

Ben B. wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:49 am
dellet wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm...Don’t believe for a minute that subs don’t operate at high pressures, most of my loads are 45,000 psi minimum. Some over 60 000.
What subsonic loads are producing pressure from 45k-60k?
In an AR Heavy bullets say 210 grains and up in 8” or shorter barrels with the faster powders like #9, N105, enforcer, 4100 all are in high 30’s low 40’s. Some of the longer 200 grain copper solids that have to be seated deep can get into that range and a bit more.

In a bolt action or single shot many of the fast pistol powders that people use #5, N32, titegroup, all are in the mid 40’s even with 200 grain bullets and can reach 50,000 while staying subsonic.

Titegroup is a good example with the wrong bullet. With a 220 round nose that needs to be seated deep to chamber, can blow a primer about the time you hit 1150 fps. It’s not a powder you want to start high and work down.

Ultra fast powders like Tinstar can get into the the 60,000 range.

I started exploring this when capturing bullets. Many of the solids showed signs of gas cutting and blow by. Copper needs about 40,000 psi to obturate and fill the bore. I noted increased accuracy and stability when I could get loads that exceeded 40k. When the bullets stopped showing carbon fouling along the bearing surface, I knew I was getting enough pressure to seal the bore.

The other benefit is less muzzle blast and noise.

The downside is some of the more poorly designed expanding bullets can open up because of the high starting pressure and acceleration.

Possibly a mistake to say most of my sub loads are that high of a pressure, but if it’s a solid copper or brass bullet, the pressures I try to achieve is 40k+.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.