Magnum Primers?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Re: Magnum Primers?

Post by steven11b »

TX Sapper wrote:
steven11b wrote:I have used both types and never seem to notice any speed or consistency differences as in SD/ES. I use fed205 and Remington 7 1/2 99% of the time now in my AR's and they both work well and basically equal performers. This is has been my experience using 400's, 405, fed205 Remington 71/2 in 300blackout loads. One note is I am currently in Texas and it doesn't get below freezing
It doesn't get below 90 degrees much either!

-Sapper
Brisk 105 today!
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Magnum Primers?

Post by Dr.Phil »

FWIW,

The use of magnum primers was fairly common place with 300 Whisper(r).

Another interesting note is that magnum primers and an enlarged flash hole are common practice with 308 WIN subsonic loads.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
fockewulf37

Re: Small pistol Magnum Primers?

Post by fockewulf37 »

Well as we know today 11/10/20 there are no primers to be had. So I have been compilating on trying small pistol magnum primers in my 300 blackout loads. I keep reading the primers are too thin. Well I have loaded about 10 of them and they worked fine. Primers looked good after being fired . No slam fires. So i decapped the cases and measured them the thickness of the primers is between 0.014 and 0.015 . I took some range brass 223's. I decapped them and found that the primer thickness was between 0.012 and 0.014.. I have read an article saying they were 0.017 in thickness. I even cut one down to get the base thickness and there was no difference???

Any Thoughts

Ty