RCBS FL Sizing Dies

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ig720
Silent Operator

RCBS FL Sizing Dies

Post by ig720 »

I'm having issues reforming/decapping my 300 brass. RCBS manual "Ram all the way in upward position, screw in die till it's touching shell holder, screw in a 1/4 turn more in or out." This has worked with my 9 / 357 / 44 / .223 but for some reason the 300 would budge the case shoulder.

I uploaded both 556 and 300 to ensure I'm doing this correctly.

After a close inspection I noticed the lock ring was plugging the vent hole when adjusted properly. I screwed the die up 3 turns to reveal the hole that is now obviously way off but worked. My .223 die vent hole is placed a little higher which works as stated.

If so, is there a solution with this die?

smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: RCBS FL Sizing Dies

Post by smustian »

The crushed neck looks to me like the expander ball is too high and the neck opening is being jammed into the die. Lower the decapping rod and try again. Your picture shows the 300 BO primer was never punched out which leads me to the conclusion.
ig720
Silent Operator

Post by ig720 »

smustian wrote:The crushed neck looks to me like the expander ball is too high and the neck opening is being jammed into the die. Lower the decapping rod and try again. Your picture shows the 300 BO primer was never punched out which leads me to the conclusion.
Per RCBS manual the decapping rod should not protrude more than 3/16"
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

ig720 wrote:
smustian wrote:The crushed neck looks to me like the expander ball is too high and the neck opening is being jammed into the die. Lower the decapping rod and try again. Your picture shows the 300 BO primer was never punched out which leads me to the conclusion.
And your result with that information got you what? To prove it to yourself, remove the decapping rod and size a case. Let me know what your result is.
ig720
Silent Operator

Post by ig720 »

smustian wrote:
ig720 wrote:
And your result with that information got you what? To prove it to yourself, remove the decapping rod and size a case. Let me know what your result is.
Already did and it didn't budge the case.

I'm not disagreeing with you but just trying to follow the manual.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Just measured the pin protrusion on my RCBS small base die. It extends 5/16" out of the bottom of the die. I have formed and or resized over 1000 cases and never had a problem. Try 5/16" protrusion.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

have you used this die before successfully?

If not, measure the sizing ball, make sure it is the correct one, not oversized. Should probably be .306 or so.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

RCBS die instructions are "guidelines", not laws written in stone by the finger of GOD!!!
Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alex Wilson »

ig720 wrote:

I can't believe I read that. Haha I guess RCBS is the word of God and unless our advice fits that perfectly it is wrong. You didn't deprime the case. Your expander/decapping pin is not down far enough and it looks like it is pushing the neck down into the shoulder. Screw the decapper down until it decaps the primer.
ig720
Silent Operator

Post by ig720 »

This is why I uploaded both cases to show some clowns that I'm aware of what happened and made the adjustments needed. Now maybe you should go back and read what I said.

The vent hole located at the bottom of the die is confusing because the .223 die vent hole sits up top and doesn't interfere with this process. Not the end of the world, I can lower it, just trying to figure out why that's all. You figure they make manuals for a reason but some choose to toss them out :roll: