Copper fouling with reloads?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Copper fouling with reloads?

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:I have hornady sizing dyes but the brass is supposed to be ready to load from the company. I was hoping to get the 150s to cycle sub as they are by far the cheapest, the velocity I ended up choosing was right about 1000 fps. But it looks like I'll be after some other option at this point, perhaps Leatherhead bullets coated lead. I do not plan on modifying my lower at all. I haven't modified my upper at all either side from installing the adjustable gas block.

So a bur seems to be suspected at this point. What can be done about it?
Shoot it, clean it, shoot it, clean it until it resolves itself. I would load up some supersonic loads and shoot them as they tend to erode the port quicker than the subsonic loads.

Thanks for letting us know what barrel that was because it will go on my list of barrels not to recommend.

As far as your brass you are probably going to need to resize them. Even if you buy brand new brass they need to be sized before use.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Alright so my plan will be to resize the next batch I'm going to reload and see if it makes any differance in how they load. Then load and shoot supersonics through it to see if I can't eliminate the copper fouling issue. Do you guys think that supersonic 150gr Xtreme would be an acceptable route or should I go buy some 110 gr FMJ to do the job? I've still have plenty of the 150gr.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Load up the 150's, it should be fine.

Make sure to turn your gas down too. There was no need to drill out the gas block but it should be fine providing the adjustment is still able to close off most of the gas.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I can switch the block to a 0.068" setting which was going to be for supers anyway. For clarification I have the MicroMOA Govnah gas block so the plate that slides back and forth can be replaced for like $20 if it ends up being a problem. Currently I have a hole for subs which is large, an off position for no gas and a super position which has the 0.068" hole.

Has anyone successfully gotten these going around 1800 fps? Their websites says 1500 fps but there is another seller out there that sells these same bullets and rates them for 1800 fps so I'm not sure where I should max out at.

Thanks allot for the help guys! I'm going to get on this asap and see what happens, but the weather has not been cooperating very well lately...
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

shooting the extreme plated bullets probably wont help that burr very much - even supersonic.

you need to get some proper jacketed bullets and shoot them down the bore to wear down the burr like you're looking for.

i'm pretty sure those plated are just gonna keep shaving because compared to a proper jacketed bullet they're VERY soft. that copper layer isnt very thick at all... just enough to encase the lead.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I'm happy to do it if that's what it takes to get this right. Any idea on how many rounds it might take to get things in order?
MConnelly2

Post by MConnelly2 »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:Those are some good replies with lots to think about!

As far as the brass, it was bought from east coast arsenal who has lots of good review and is supposed to be ready to load from them. Perhaps I should try to run some through a resizing die to see if it makes the difference. I'm not sure that it's bullet setback as I did not see any marks on the bullets during hand cycling or any overpressure signs on the fired brass.

Just for clarification, the gas port is exactly as I received it from the manufacturer. I only enlarged the port on the adjustable gas block. I don't yet have any Supersonic FMJ but I'm thinking I should probably get some. I ran the bullets as low as 850 and as high as 1065 fps. I was testing different loads out.
Curious what loads you were running to get those velocities?

I ran a bunch of the same 150FP plated bullets over Lil Gun and ran into some copper fouling issues - not anywhere near as bad as yours. Lot of copper coating on the back end of the bolt, flecks on the bolt carrier and forward end of the buffer. Still cycling, so as far as I know I didn't block up my gas port! I'd have to double check my notebook to be sure, but I think most of what I was playing with was in the range of 12-14 grains of L/G @ 1.92", lowest I went and retained 100% cycling and bolt hold open was 12.2 or so without touching the gas block setting. Fairly sure I could open it up a few clicks and go down a little more, but the offhand accuracy was nothing to write home about anyways. Need to get out a nice sunny day alone with a few different loads and a clean barrel and see if I can find a good optimum for these bullets. Not going to be tack drivers, but for plinking and such, they may work.

How low did you have to go for 850fps and 1065fps?
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:I'm happy to do it if that's what it takes to get this right. Any idea on how many rounds it might take to get things in order?
First I would see if you can swap the barrel out since you bought it locally...if not then i would find some 125 gr copper jacket bullets and load them pretty hot. Once you get the clogging to stop the next thing you will probably notice is copper tarnishing on the gas end of your bolt like MConnelly discribed. When you stop seeing copper, I'd say your done. Im guessing 100 rounds.
Keep us posted
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I loaded the 150 gr xtremes at 8 gr Lil' gun in .5 grain incriments down to 6 gr. My OAL was 2.010"
As mentioned before the barrel is 8.2" and everything else but the gas block is standard.

The results are as follows:
6 gr Lil'gun
Avg:763fps

6.5 gr Lil'gun
Avg: 841fps

7 Gr Lil'gun
Avg: 946fps

7.5 Gr Lil'gun
Avg:996fps

8Gr Lil'gun
1034fps

I'm starting to think after reading about the 203 gr palmetto projectiles that I may need to seat them deeper if I do work with them again for my AR. One thing I will add is that there is some noticeable copper coloring on the feed ramps but I thought that was odd because my 9mm's don't leave any copper on the feed ramp. I don't have access to any other barrels or uppers to compare but the company offered to replace the barrel if the problem continues. I ordered some FMJ 190gr Nosler's that I found some good subsonic recipies to run through and once I can get to Cabelas in a week I'm going to pick up some 110 or 125 gr FMJ to load up as well.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Are the Palmetto Projectiles copper coated or are the coated with polymer or plastic coating? I thought they were coated and not plated for some reason.

Unless they are plated with copper I would not expect any sort of copper on the feed ramp. If they are plated they are going to be way to soft to wear the burr down. If you have any local gun shows that have reloading supplies most of the reloading vendors have some bimetal bullets. The jackets are steel with a thin copper coating, that would be my choice for knocking down a burr.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!