How do I stop breaking Dillon swage rods?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

gabe1519
Silent But Deadly

How do I stop breaking Dillon swage rods?

Post by gabe1519 »

I really hate crimped in primers that get pulled back into the primer pocket on the Dillon 1050. I have broken 5 swagers so far in the past year due to this issue. Is there any solution to keep a Dillon Swage rod from breaking due to a primer stuck in the pocket? I have tried many things to keep primers from being pulled back into the pocket but have realized its not something you can fix other than polish the crap out of the decapping pin. I think I will stop swaging altogether.
Kaldor
Silent Operator

Re: How do I stop breaking Dillon swage rods?

Post by Kaldor »

What die are you de-capping with? I cant say Ive ever had that happen de-capping 5.56 with a Lee Universal decapper
"You cant fix stupid" - Ron White
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

I am not sure what decapping die you are using, but I had a lot of problems with Dillon's decapper. After swapping to the Lee Universal, I haven't had any problem in many thousands of rounds.
Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hardrockshot »

I gave up on the sizing and decapper at the same time.
I punch the primers first (Actually I get my wife to do this)
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites
Kaldor
Silent Operator

Post by Kaldor »

Hardrockshot wrote:I gave up on the sizing and decapper at the same time.
I punch the primers first (Actually I get my wife to do this)
If your running on a progressive, decapper on station 1, sizing die with decapping pin removed on station 2.
gabe1519
Silent But Deadly

Post by gabe1519 »

I use the lee universal Decapper. I have even used the pistol Decapper that works about the same. I have also used dillons Decapper. In all cases, a stuck primer usually results in a broken swage Rod. I even overnighted a few swage rods to complete orders on time for my business. At the rate i break these things ita crazy what I spend on these rods.

The brass is not the issue either because I use all 100% LC brass. It hasn't been an issue until the past few months. So I adjusted the swaging die that pushes against the inside of the case and that has not helped.

I really believe part of it has to do with the tubular design of the swage Rod itself being weak at the point where it screws into the threaded part of the eye that connects to the handle. It breaks in the same spot every time. If it were as thick in diameter as the hexagonal section of the rod it probably would not break as much.

The only solution so far is to keep sending the rods to dillon for replacement. That's still $5.25 a piece for shipping. If each one lasts a barrel of brass (roughly 44,000 cases) I'll be ok. Anyone large volume processors run into this issue? any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Kaldor
Silent Operator

Post by Kaldor »

You running an autodrive or pulling the handle?

If using the Lee decapper, you could set the pin tension a hair looser, and keep an eye on it when running by hand. If on an autodrive, you could put a sensor on the pin so that when it pops up, it triggers an alarm and stops the press.

And just to be sure, you are setting it up correctly? Pin roughly flush with the top of the die. Float the die a couple thousands above the shell plate?

Just spit balling for you.
Jmorrismetal
Silent Operator

Post by Jmorrismetal »

Kaldor wrote:
Hardrockshot wrote: If your running on a progressive, decapper on station 1, sizing die with decapping pin removed on station 2.

Can't do that on a 1050.

I don't have the problem anylonger, you might try a slight angle on the tip of the decapping pin.

I do have a problem with small primer brass mixed in with large primer in 45 acp. So I built this device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V7vSEAqkZw

Something like that would work on your prep pass then replace it with the swager for your load pass.
Kaldor
Silent Operator

Post by Kaldor »

Jmorrismetal wrote:
Kaldor wrote:
Hardrockshot wrote: If your running on a progressive, decapper on station 1, sizing die with decapping pin removed on station 2.

Can't do that on a 1050.

I don't have the problem anylonger, you might try a slight angle on the tip of the decapping pin.

I do have a problem with small primer brass mixed in with large primer in 45 acp. So I built this device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V7vSEAqkZw

Something like that would work on your prep pass then replace it with the swager for your load pass.
Tapering the pin works well, as well as rounding the end slightly so its less likely to mushroom. I have a pin with 15k rounds decapped, everything from crusty range pickups to crimped Lake City 5.56.

You cant run a sizing die with decapping pin removed in any station on a 1050? Wow. I run Lee decapper in station 1, Hornady sizing dies with expander but no decapping pin in station 3 or 4 in my LnL.
Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hardrockshot »

I did not say that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the post....
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites