Forming Die

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

d_bell

Forming Die

Post by d_bell »

What is the best die to use to form the 300 Blackout?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Forming Die

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hi and welcome!

I don't know the best but many people have problems with the Lee die when it comes to INITIAL forming.
The RCBS dies are often recommended in place of the Lee dies when forming.

As for best, my guess is the Forster super high dollar micro meter + every other feature I don't have die.

I'm sure others will chime in.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Not sure of the "best" but I use a RCBS small base die and have never had an issue.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...all of the brands have proven to work, only real differences have been actual purchase costs and individual "opinions". Some equate "best" to cost, others to actual function and others to features...

...when you break it down to the basic function, the forming a casing so it works in YOUR firearm, that should be the highest priority criteria and provide you a reliable "filter" for all the responses you will get. As you research all the responses and threads you will find here and responses you are bound to receive to this thread, look closely for the reasons or causes of why someone posts something did or didn't work and what that was...

EDIT & UPDATE: ...some mistakenly blame the dies when it is other factors such as they trimmed it to wrong length, used the wrong bullet/COAL seating depth, wrong powder, etc., etc. Be especially careful of those posts that don't even provide the OP's followup actions after receiving advice they sought. There are alot of inter-relationships involved in reloading, familiarize yourself with those so you are insulated from the BS and bravado. Brownell's is currently running some reloading introduction videos, check their Facebook page for the links. Although they may recommend certain products, they don't compromise on the actual mechanics and criteria that specific steps require, the recommend products just accomplish those required functions.
rg1
Silent Operator

Post by rg1 »

I've got Hornady's 300 BLK/300 Whisper die set and a standard RCBS 300 BLK. They both work perfectly. They size and form in one step. I'd recommend either. RCBS makes one with a taper crimp feature with small based sizer and a standard die set with roll crimp. I recommend the standard RCBS with roll crimp feature.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

smustian wrote:Not sure of the "best" but I use a RCBS small base die and have never had an issue.
I agree!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

Redding dies rock!
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
tcoz
Silent But Deadly

Post by tcoz »

If you have yet to buy your dies, consider the RCBS Small Base Sizing Die to use for initial forming then use the Lee die set for subsequent sizing and everything else. You could also use the RCBS SB die set for everything but be aware that it'll work your brass more, possibly leading to shorter life.
"Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
-Unknown
Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hardrockshot »

If you are forming from 556 to 300 look at the Dillon die. It's not cheap, but it is a carbide die. You still need to lube cases when using it.
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

I just cut and formed some 5.56 brass tonight for the first time, I used the Lee dies and they worked great. I had read some bad reviews about the Lee 300 Blackout die, but I think they updated the dies? They worked great, I could not tell the difference between my converted brass and some factory Remington.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER