do you full length resize after every firing?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Czak2290
Silent Operator

do you full length resize after every firing?

Post by Czak2290 »

just curious what everyones process was for there brass. been thinking about alternating neck sizing and full length
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: do you full length resize after every firing?

Post by 300Blk »

Back when I was newer to reloading I used to wonder about these things. It is like when I used to wonder what was better, Ferrari or Lamborghini. Now I know the answer - Ferrari is better - no question at all.

Now that I know, there is only one answer to this.

Absolutely - you should always full-length resize every shot. Neck-sizing is only for bench-rest shooters during competition. It MUST NOT be used for ARs ever. It can be used for bolt actions, but is stupid and should not be used, as it decreases reliability and makes the ammo incompatible with other firearms so you cannot use it in an emergency in another gun unless, by chance, that gun happens to have a larger chamber.
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

I would at least expect the right answer form 300blk, I am surprised. Lamborghini is better!!! As to the sizing part as stated earlier you only need to neck re-size if you are shooting competition with the same gun. Not a good idea using the AR.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Full length resizing is also required for the single shot rifles as the over-center locking of the barrel presents the breech at a slight angle to the chamber and results in cocked/leaning brass after firing. With bolt action rifles I do not full length resize, I neck size only.

I "usually" full length resize for the AR, but saying that I have experimented and neck sized some sub sonic rounds and didn't have any issues when I shot them.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Full length always. tried the neck sizing only once for a bolt action and it did not work out so well.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

I full resize every time for bolt and semi-autos. I do not want any problems when in the field and I like consistency.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ive yet to find a reason NOT to fl size every time.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

For semi-autos, you MUST always full-length resize. In some, very limited situations, there is even a need for a "Small-Base" ("SB") resizing, but your gun will tell you this when an otherwise totally properly re-loaded round won't fit. Luckily, it is quite rare.

As far as neck-sizing, I recommend something called partial-neck sizing or partial full-length sizing. This is where you do not full-length resize all the way. You smoke the shoulder of your case with a candle and unscrew your full length sizer die several turns. Keep turning it down and sizing the case until you just barely bump the shoulder back (eliminating 80-90% of the smoke on the shoulder of the case). This will partially full-length resize your brass so that it still fits the chamber a little tightly (for better accuracy), but no issues with camming the bolt to squeeze the round in, as you need to do with neck-sized-only case. (This will also work in break-open single-shots, because the round does not need to have force applied to completely go into the chamber so the action can close, but it will make brass last longer, because the brass does not stretch so much after every firing-resizing cycle.) The body of the case is squeezed down a little, but not as much as with full-length, and the shoulder is not set back as far as with full-length. The brass will last longer and you should get better accuracy. This should ONLY be used in single-shots and bolt actions. NEVER in semi-autos.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

It seems that i agree with the crowd, i FL resize any round that can be fired in a semi-auto that i own...my bolt-action only calibers i feel better neck sizing...
And i like Ferrari too, but my Aventador would like to see which model of Ferarri you feel is superior, Robert...
Edit: oh, i forgot, mine's not a Lamborghini Aventador, its a Chevy Impala...my bad
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

MMA10mm wrote:For semi-autos, you MUST always full-length resize. In some, very limited situations, there is even a need for a "Small-Base" ("SB") resizing, but your gun will tell you this when an otherwise totally properly re-loaded round won't fit. Luckily, it is quite rare.

As far as neck-sizing, I recommend something called partial-neck sizing or partial full-length sizing. This is where you do not full-length resize all the way. You smoke the shoulder of your case with a candle and unscrew your full length sizer die several turns. Keep turning it down and sizing the case until you just barely bump the shoulder back (eliminating 80-90% of the smoke on the shoulder of the case). This will partially full-length resize your brass so that it still fits the chamber a little tightly (for better accuracy), but no issues with camming the bolt to squeeze the round in, as you need to do with neck-sized-only case. (This will also work in break-open single-shots, because the round does not need to have force applied to completely go into the chamber so the action can close, but it will make brass last longer, because the brass does not stretch so much after every firing-resizing cycle.) The body of the case is squeezed down a little, but not as much as with full-length, and the shoulder is not set back as far as with full-length. The brass will last longer and you should get better accuracy. This should ONLY be used in single-shots and bolt actions. NEVER in semi-autos.
+1 Well written!
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D