Gauges - Slotted vs. Non

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BubbaJon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gauges - Slotted vs. Non

Post by BubbaJon »

RDA wrote:One other advantage to the slotted gauge is when I am gauging ammo, I can use my thumb in the slot to quickly push out the round. Makes gauging a little faster/easier for me.
I have Zapp's (Sheridan) slotted gauge in .223 and 300 BLK.
This is actually a bigger deal than it sounds :)
I love my slotted gauge - functional and educational as you can see how different bullet contours "fit" in the chamber.
It's the bees knees fer sure.
vz58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vz58 »

We try to talk our customers out of the non slotted into the slotted gauges. For various reasons some people stick with non slotted. Several weeks later we frequently hear back from them asking to exchange for a slotted.

In general if you can swing a little extra cash upfront you wind up with a better tool.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

This is an old thread, but I did not see anyone talking the cons of slotted gauge.
You need to gauge the round twice when using a slotted gauge. Because of the slot there may be a case goof somewhere in the area that is in the slot area, etc.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

300blk_kid wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:33 pm This is an old thread, but I did not see anyone talking the cons of slotted gauge.
You need to gauge the round twice when using a slotted gauge. Because of the slot there may be a case goof somewhere in the area that is in the slot area, etc.
That would only happen if your sizing die has a defect, and the chances of the defect hitting the slot on every case is slim. So if you have a high number of rejects, then check the sizing die. Currently, I have two, the 300 BLK, and the.277 WLV, which is the ones I form, I don't gauge the rest.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Zapp
Silent But Deadly

Post by Zapp »

300blk_kid wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:33 pm This is an old thread, but I did not see anyone talking the cons of slotted gauge.
Do you have a slotted gauge?

The reason I ask is that since the gauge is already a bit tighter than MOST chambers by the nature of it being cut to the minimum chamber spec, it would take a pretty big case 'goof' in just that cutout window to cause an issue in your firearm. You can certainly use the window to diagnose the issues like bulged cases and concentricity, because the ammo will hang up in the gauge. But generally speaking, if it fits fine the first time, it's going to run.

I'm not saying it can't happen. But I don't think I have ever heard of that complaint from a customer. I've only seen that complaint from people who haven't used the gauge.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Zapp wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:02 am
Do you have a slotted gauge?

The reason I ask is that since the gauge is already a bit tighter than MOST chambers by the nature of it being cut to the minimum chamber spec, it would take a pretty big case 'goof' in just that cutout window to cause an issue in your firearm. You can certainly use the window to diagnose the issues like bulged cases and concentricity, because the ammo will hang up in the gauge. But generally speaking, if it fits fine the first time, it's going to run.

I'm not saying it can't happen. But I don't think I have ever heard of that complaint from a customer. I've only seen that complaint from people who haven't used the gauge.
I could probably give you a half dozen or more things that could be missed by indexing them into the slot. Found every one of them after they failed the full round gauge or the slotted one by rotating the cartridge until the bad spot hit the slot. The slotted gauge will catch many more than it will miss.

I might be one of the biggest critics of these gauges, but it’s not because they don’t work. It’s because people buy them and never learn how to properly measure a cartridge. “If it fits, it ships” is not the key to quality or safe loads. With that said, I own both and use both for different reasons. I also have more than one hammer, different tools for different jobs.

Nothing wrong with either gauge, as long as you know how to use them.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am I also have more than one hammer

but we all know you love this one the most :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

The slotted gauge is a fantastic tool for determining certain measurements, trouble shooting problems, ect. What it ain't is for folks that that don't know what they are looking for in the first place. No tool will help you if you don't know the fundamentals. If I'm pissing you off then you need to read the archives of this forum more. What color is my hammer Plant?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

rebel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:17 pm What color is my hammer Plant?

i dunno.. but usually the way you swing it around makes watermelons very very very nervous :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

:mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.