Gauges - Slotted vs. Non

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gauges - Slotted vs. Non

Post by Flatliner »

I started with the non-slotted so I do a 100% check with it when I box my ammo. (Directly related to an embarrassing incident where I DIDN'T 100% check). I bought the slotted to troubleshoot a problem I was having. As a result, I use the slotted when I am sizing (I size, prime, then load seperately on a progressive) and then do a 100% final with the non-slotted on loaded ammo. At this point, I only do that with my 300.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

I am not saying the round needs to be indexed in the gauge. I have some 300blk factory ammo that failed miserably, but as I seat the round in the gauge after rotating it (a few times) the case head would stick out at varying distances. Possibly a few reasons why the brass is bad, but a bulge in the neck area would not catch in the open slot when the round is inserted. A small neck issue and the round may check ok in the slotted gauge if you only did one check without rotating the round. Hence why I say need to rotate a round to check it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300blk_kid wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:53 pm I am not saying the round needs to be indexed in the gauge. I have some 300blk factory ammo that failed miserably, but as I seat the round in the gauge after rotating it (a few times) the case head would stick out at varying distances. Possibly a few reasons why the brass is bad, but a bulge in the neck area would not catch in the open slot when the round is inserted. A small neck issue and the round may check ok in the slotted gauge if you only did one check without rotating the round. Hence why I say need to rotate a round to check it.
The two gauges serve two different purposes with some overlap.

It's hard to catch every problem with the slotted, it's impossible to see the problem without the slot.

You will have more rounds fail either gauge and still chamber in the average rifle due to the tighter tolerances of the gauges, than bad rounds missed by the slotted gauge.

I use the gauges to check fired brass, if they don't fit, the gun is over gassed.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

The two gauges kinda do the exact same thing, except the slotted one requires that you gauge the round twice with the 2nd time rotating the case. If you have two gauges, one std and one slotted, you still have to gauge the round twice (if using both for some reason).
Why buy two gauges that are not cut the same? Use one gauge. The slotted one has the advantage because you can see stuff.
ShermanFug

Gauges Slotted vs Non

Post by ShermanFug »

Someone on Reddit recommended the s&b 150 spce. I finally got a useful comment there. GarandGear says that it has a lower pressure than m2 ball. I may take a look at the other brands as well.
https://www.sportzfuel.com/
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I have the wilson, a non-slotted. I use it to set HS die setup. That is ALL it is designed to do. I would use a non-slotted SAAMI spec bore and throat gauge. Actually I just got a NOE sizer inset for min neck OD and check all rnds with that. I determine seating depth with MY barrels!