Single shot light subs sticky

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: Single shot light subs sticky

Post by farm use »

rebel wrote:Farm use, I tried some unique for the heavies, like 200 plus. Quiet-yes, but velos were all over the place. I would think that if you were going to try it for 90 gr xtp's, you would have to drop the charge so much that filler would have to be used. Don't forget about Red Dot, I tried some of it with the heavies as well and it wasn't to bad. No chrony data on it, but I still have a pound and may get to playing with it after hunting season.
Thanks rebel! That's what I'm afraid of. Shew I don't really want to buy any more powder (never thought I'd say that) but iv bought BE86, unique, bullseye and 3 cans of trail boss in the last week. I'm not so crazy about getting the xtps to work with unique but would like to get some 110 gn or 125 gn bullets to work with unique. If BE-86 is about the same burn rate as unique I'd like to give it a shot...pun intended. How many grains unique do you think would be a good start point using 110gn bullet?
S4area51
Senior Silent Operator

Post by S4area51 »

I did not use any filler for UNIQUE loads. SD's were OK. Grouping was ~1.5MOA. I am going to try Bullseye with the lighter 123gr Zmax pills.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

What I did with the heavies and unique was start with what I knew would push a 250 gr 45 bullet around 875 out of a 7.5 inch barrel. 7.5 grains. Dropped it in the case and loaded a 220 on top. This was when the only BLK I had was a 16 " carbine so I was ss ing them. No chrony at that time but was trying to check by ear. As I went with lighter bullets I realized the powder was getting horizontal on me and I bailed on it. Right about that time the can showed up and a 8 pounder of 1680 and well, you know what happened. I use unique for 45 colt, 45 acp and 9mm with no probs. If I was going to load for anything less than 200 IMO it needs a bit of polyfil. To answer you question would be a guess but 5 gr. of unique and a 110 would be a start.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

I've worked up a pile of data using Unique in my boltgun but the lightest bullets I've used is 163 grains.
WTB: exotic ammo! AP, tracers, etc. Money waiting, whatcha got?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Sharkbite wrote:So, with these ~5gn loads of Unique and such, are you using fillers to keep the powder against the flashhole?

Ive used Trailboss for light subs but its so case filling ive never worried about fillers. Whats the common practice with powders that fill less then 1/2 the case volume?
No. I don't use fillers in 38sp or 357 either. Pistol powder.....
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

I think we can get by using Unique with 110gn to 125gn bullets without using a filler, but doubtful with the 90gn XTPs they are just so short. As soon as the weather brakes and I get some time off work I'll try some. Probably will be after the first of the year.

Thanks guys for all the input! Lets keep it coming.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

Loaded some 120gr plated bullets up last night with 4gr Bullseye and 3.8gr Unique to start out with. If it ever stops raining I will go shoot them and report back. I think I am on the way low end, but I can handle extra range trips when it is not very well charted territory :lol: I am hoping I can develope a good load in this range, would make a great squirrel blasting load.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

150gr FMJBT, 4.8gr Unique, WSR, 2.00" Avg vel. of 925. Very good accuracy out of my Ruger American.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

idaho.jon wrote:Loaded some 120gr plated bullets up last night with 4gr Bullseye and 3.8gr Unique to start out with. If it ever stops raining I will go shoot them and report back. I think I am on the way low end, but I can handle extra range trips when it is not very well charted territory :lol: I am hoping I can develope a good load in this range, would make a great squirrel blasting load.
Great let me know how the do! Im guessing the 120gn plated bullets are from Highborn? I just ordered some myself to try!
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

They are, seem to be quality so far, have not shot any yet though.