Single shot light subs sticky

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Re: Single shot light subs sticky

Post by Steve Urquell »

cwlongshot wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:
Not surprised about those 86g bullets. That cartridge its made for can be HOT!!

CW
I lined up ~30+" of water jugs and the 86gr sub load punched thru every one and kept going. Look up a couple of posts at the pic I posted of it pushed to ~2400fps. That thing would red mist a varmint! I think I measured it ~.72 caliber.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

Loaded some subsonic Nosler 110s, have not shot them yet but will sometime this week. I will shoot some water jugs too, I am hoping they expand, they have a pretty thin jacket.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Steve Urquell wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:
Not surprised about those 86g bullets. That cartridge its made for can be HOT!!

CW
I lined up ~30+" of water jugs and the 86gr sub load punched thru every one and kept going. Look up a couple of posts at the pic I posted of it pushed to ~2400fps. That thing would red mist a varmint! I think I measured it ~.72 caliber.

WOW!!

Here is some pics of the plinkers I found.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

I look forward to your range report on how those plinkers perform.

The 86gr Hornady bullet is hard to find info on. I have a Hornady catalog that addresses it calling it a traditional pistol bullet with a high antimony lead core and match grade jacket.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Steve Urquell wrote:I look forward to your range report on how those plinkers perform.

The 86gr Hornady bullet is hard to find info on. I have a Hornady catalog that addresses it calling it a traditional pistol bullet with a high antimony lead core and match grade jacket.
Midway delivered my bullets today!!

Unsure if I'll get to the range this weekend, my Saturday just got confirmed...My JR mechanic lost his Grandma today.. He will be out tomorrow and Monday. SO, I'm working, the weekend :)
doing his projects. ;)

CW

Geezerbiker

Post by Geezerbiker »

Anyone here using Red Dot in .300BLK loads? I have about 6 pounds of it and I'm looking for more rounds to use it in. I've used 5 grains with a 120g Cast bullet for .30-30 plinker loads but I'm not sure how much to use for the Blackout...

Tony
Last edited by Geezerbiker on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swat50
Silent But Deadly

Post by Swat50 »

Geezerbiker wrote:Anyone here using Red Dot in .300BLK loads? I have about 6 pounds of it and I'm looking for more rounds to use it in. I've used 5 grains with a 120g Cast bullet for .30-30 plinker loads but I'm not sure how much to use for the Blackout...

Tony
CW
[/quote]

I have used 5 gr of red dot for 230 lee casted.(keyholed)
and 203 Palmetto ok but 4.7 is better.

16" 1-8 MGM contender, and Ruger ranch American .

But looking for a subsonic red dot load with 110 or 125Gr, Yea I know you think I am lazy , in reality I am a ways away from the range.
16" Sota arms upper W/ Adams piston, 80% lower.
AAC H&R single shot.
16" MGM barreled Contender.
Ruger American Ranch.
16" SS Sota Arms upper, For Sale.
That's just the 300 AAC 's
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Posted in wrong place. Tried to delete
Geezerbiker

Post by Geezerbiker »

Swat50 wrote:
Geezerbiker wrote:Anyone here using Red Dot in .300BLK loads? I have about 6 pounds of it and I'm looking for more rounds to use it

But looking for a subsonic red dot load with 110 or 125Gr, Yea I know you think I am lazy , in reality I am a ways away from the range.
I have a box of 168g flat nose from Missouri Bullet that I will load with 4.5g of Red Dot now that I have your numbers. I need to shoot up the ammo I've loaded or chop and form some more .223 cases before I can try it. However I'm not going to bother until I get a mini chop saw. Other methods are either messy or inconsistent or at least they are for me.

I also have 200 of the Hornady 100g short jacket bullets and 250 X-Treme 110g RN bullets on the way that I want to try with Red Dot. I'm looking to make can sneeze loads with these. So I'm going to start with around 4g of Red Dot with them...

I'm lazy too and the only place I have to shoot right now is 40+ miles away so I don't get there as often as I like. There's supposed to be a spent gravel pit on BLM land not far away. I think I located it on Google Earth but the roads to it look like worm trails on the map. These logging roads are one lane in many places and not a good place to meet a log truck. Driving them without a CB radio can be very dangerous and thus far I've not gotten there. The drive was way further off pavement than I was told and I chickened out before I found the place. One of these days I will have to talk a local to take me there. I've only been here for a few years and I'm very much an outsider here...

Tony
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Geezerbiker wrote:
Swat50 wrote:
Geezerbiker wrote:Anyone here using Red Dot in .300BLK loads? I have about 6 pounds of it and I'm looking for more rounds to use it

I have a box of 168g flat nose from Missouri Bullet that I will load with 4.5g of Red Dot now that I have your numbers. I need to shoot up the ammo I've loaded or chop and form some more .223 cases before I can try it. However I'm not going to bother until I get a mini chop saw. Other methods are either messy or inconsistent or at least they are for me.

I also have 200 of the Hornady 100g short jacket bullets and 250 X-Treme 110g RN bullets on the way that I want to try with Red Dot. I'm looking to make can sneeze loads with these. So I'm going to start with around 4g of Red Dot with them...

I'm lazy too and the only place I have to shoot right now is 40+ miles away so I don't get there as often as I like. There's supposed to be a spent gravel pit on BLM land not far away. I think I located it on Google Earth but the roads to it look like worm trails on the map. These logging roads are one lane in many places and not a good place to meet a log truck. Driving them without a CB radio can be very dangerous and thus far I've not gotten there. The drive was way further off pavement than I was told and I chickened out before I found the place. One of these days I will have to talk a local to take me there. I've only been here for a few years and I'm very much an outsider here...

Tony
Hello Tony!

CW