208gr Hornady A-Max A1680 with 8" Barrel Chrono results

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

elitejake
Silent Operator

Re: 208gr Hornady A-Max A1680 with 8" Barrel Chrono results

Post by elitejake »

I have yet to shoot any factory ammo. I am shooting 147g that shoot lights out in my old cmmg 16" and they shoot all over the place. I also have shot all the other loads in it as well with no problems. Just this barrel suppressor combo sucks.

I am wondering if the twist is just wrong or the barrel is wrong. I am thinking about a new barrel
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

after everything i've read i'm leaning towards barrel is wrong.

nothing against stoner, but every mfg can have a bad day and let one slip past quality control.

have you contacted them about your issues to see what they have to say?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Use a patch and cleaning rod and check the twist. So your only seeing the problem when shooting suppressed right? If so it could be a thread problem. Either on the suppressor or barrel. You also said you have bullet shavings in the suppressor after firing right. Makes me really think your getting baffle strikes just enough to shave the bullet and cause accuracy problems.
Cajun Executioner
Silent Operator

Post by Cajun Executioner »

Did you buy the brass or convert it? Did you swage it and if so with what? You need to check your primer pockets with one of these.
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1521
You should not be pushing primers out at these pressures. If you are, I would think that your primer pockets are over swaged/very loose! Your velocities could be low because pressure is being released when you are pushing your primers. Try some factory ammo and see if your are pushing primers. If you aren't pushing primers with factory supersonic, I would be willing to bet your primer pockets are loose.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

farm use wrote:Use a patch and cleaning rod and check the twist. So your only seeing the problem when shooting suppressed right? If so it could be a thread problem. Either on the suppressor or barrel. You also said you have bullet shavings in the suppressor after firing right. Makes me really think your getting baffle strikes just enough to shave the bullet and cause accuracy problems.
Yep, that's a distinct possibility. Going back to isolating the variables, take the suppressor off and shoot some groups with those same loads which don't stabilize through the suppressor. If you get good groups, it's not the barrel's internal quality.

Then, you have three possibilities:

1) Muzzle threads are not cut perfectly square to the bore.
2) QD mount is not tightly engaging suppressor.
3) Suppressor's bore is too tight or baffles are out-of-alignment.

You didn't mention if you are direct-thread or QD mounting your suppressor so I included both 1 and 2.

Most importantly, let's see if you still get the hot load symptoms without the suppressor.
Meridian
Silent Operator

Post by Meridian »

farm use wrote:So your only seeing the problem when shooting suppressed right? If so it could be a thread problem. Either on the suppressor or barrel. You also said you have bullet shavings in the suppressor after firing right. Makes me really think your getting baffle strikes just enough to shave the bullet and cause accuracy problems.
Was thinking the same thing. Try it without the suppressor and see what it does. Also, are your targets getting keyholed?