IMR-800X

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Condor1970

IMR-800X

Post by Condor1970 »

I can't help but wonder about this one. I got adventurous last year, and bought a Caspian Hi-Cap Recon 1911 frame, and started to build my own 1911. I finalyl finished the pistol with a 6" long slide, and a bunch of 17rd magazines..... in 10mm.

Yeah, in 10mm!!! Good heavens that gun is an absolute beast.

Anyway, as I worked up all my loads for it, I noticed something. IMR-800X loves magnum rounds. And, when you have a good barrel, with proper higher end loads, it really shines. For example.... With 10.0gr and a 180gr HP, I get around 1,200fps. This stuff really likes running what I call "Nuclear Ammo".

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if I decide to build an 8.5" pistol in 300aac, if I shouldn't try to use some of this 800X powder to see how well it would run some heavy 150gr plated X-Treme bullets to get close to the 1,500fps rating of them. If 800X is such a good magnum powder, I can't help but think it should run an AR with a pistol barrel. Especially if I run a piston system to help keep things clean.

Has anyone here ever tried to run 800X in an AR pistol?
bdill
Silent Operator

Re: IMR-800X

Post by bdill »

Interested as well
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Condor1970 wrote:I can't help but wonder about this one. I got adventurous last year, and bought a Caspian Hi-Cap Recon 1911 frame, and started to build my own 1911. I finalyl finished the pistol with a 6" long slide, and a bunch of 17rd magazines..... in 10mm.

Yeah, in 10mm!!! Good heavens that gun is an absolute beast.

Anyway, as I worked up all my loads for it, I noticed something. IMR-800X loves magnum rounds. And, when you have a good barrel, with proper higher end loads, it really shines. For example.... With 10.0gr and a 180gr HP, I get around 1,200fps. This stuff really likes running what I call "Nuclear Ammo".

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if I decide to build an 8.5" pistol in 300aac, if I shouldn't try to use some of this 800X powder to see how well it would run some heavy 150gr plated X-Treme bullets to get close to the 1,500fps rating of them. If 800X is such a good magnum powder, I can't help but think it should run an AR with a pistol barrel. Especially if I run a piston system to help keep things clean.

Has anyone here ever tried to run 800X in an AR pistol?
Quick question: Have you shot those X-Treme bullets in 300 BLK at all? I am looking for feedback as they're half the price of the bulk packed Hornady 150gr FMJ BT

Thanks
FM
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

I've run a lot of 800X in 10mm, so I know what you are talking about. Here's the thing - It's not recommended for 10mm, as it is a relatively small-capacity case, operating at pretty high pressures, when 800X was designed for 12ga and low pressures. It's a bit of a miracle it works in 10mm. It is one of those rare situations where something works better than it should in a situation completely opposite of what it is designed for.

Now, trying to extend that to 300 Blackout is riskier still than using it in 10mm. Why? Well, first off, there's the tapered case with a shoulder. (Yeah, I know it's slight, but it's still there, and that is very different than the way powder burns in a straight-walled case.) Second, 12ga operates at 10,000psi (roughly) and the 10mm at 37,500psi, and the 300 Black works at 55,000psi (roughly). So, now we're moving 800X even further out of it's realm of normalcy, both in operating pressures and case-shape.

Now, all that said, you never know until you try... :mrgreen: My advice is, IF you try this, I'd set aside your thoughts about 800X in the 10mm and go back and think about where 800X falls on the old burn rate charts. (In the 10mm, it acts just a tiny fraction faster than AA#9, but it's traditional spot on the burn rate chart is right around AA#7 - a LOT faster.) You are going into territory with no data available either, so start with a low starting load of a powder near the older/faster location on the burn-rate chart. (I'd probably start with AA#7 starting load data from the SSK load sheet.) No matter what, my estimate is that you will only find 800X useful for subsonic loads, and even then, they probably will not function a semi-auto.
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

I've run thousands of 45 acp with both 700X & 800X and for what it's worth I remember 800X was noticeably louder than 700X.
BigChuck775

Post by BigChuck775 »

@Fire_Medic
There is a long thread on here somewhere with a lot of good info on the the Xtreme bullets, I just can't find it right now. I need coffee :shock:

This guy did a pretty good video on how he is loading them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTW-_9e ... ldPzcFid7u
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

BigChuck775 wrote:@Fire_Medic
There is a long thread on here somewhere with a lot of good info on the the Xtreme bullets, I just can't find it right now. I need coffee :shock:

This guy did a pretty good video on how he is loading them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTW-_9e ... ldPzcFid7u
Thank for the video if you find that thread I would really appreciate it.

I have never had one single issue with the X-Treme for my handgun loads I have been shooting only their projectiles for about two years now but was curious about the rifle loads and the plating as we are talking about higher velocity with rifle ammo.

FM
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

800X, BLUE Dot and Long Shot are real good powders for HOT 10MM loads... They are a lil on the fast side. But burning rates suggest they could work well in some loadings for the 300 BO... Unsure about pressures to properly run in the AR platform.

While creating loads from this chart isn't prudent, it will show where a powder falls and jive a idea of possibilities.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS