Hornady 125 SST good choice for first time reloader?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Hornady 125 SST good choice for first time reloader?

Post by voip-1 »

Hey guys. I'm making my first foray into reloading soon. Going to pull the trigger on a Lee turret press, Lee 300 dies, a scale and other needed doodads in the next week or so.

I've got 250 pieces of pre-formed 300 brass coming from carolina brass so that I can get comfortable reloading before I start cutting, polishing and forming my own.

I've got some H110 powder coming.

Now I'm trying to pick a decent bullet to use. I would prefer to stay on the lighter side so that I don't have to re-zero my optic when switching between these and other light weight rounds such as Barnes 110s.

Hornady 125 SST looks pretty good to me, can anyone recommend anything else out there that is good for plinking, cheap and easy for a newbie to load?

Thanks
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 125 SST good choice for first time reloader?

Post by ScottB70 »

I use Nosler Varmageddon 110 grain for plinking, they're pretty cheap and it looks like Nosler just made another run on them so you should be able to find some.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

ScottB70 wrote:I use Nosler Varmageddon 110 grain for plinking, they're pretty cheap and it looks like Nosler just made another run on them so you should be able to find some.
Any loading issues? I had seen some comments on some other Sierra's (match kings) that had some problems getting to proper loading depth.

Thanks for suggestion.
Last edited by voip-1 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Also, when you say Nosler just produced more, how was that discovered? They appear to be out of stock everywhere.
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

voip-1 wrote:Also, when you say Nosler just produced more, how was that discovered? They appear to be out of stock everywhere.
There was a post that said they're in stock at Midsouth Shooters which led me to believe that maybe they started another run:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... _100_Count

No loading issues in my AR whatsoever. Never had any problems with them.
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

Also, I should mention that the 125 SST is a great choice if you want to hunt with the same bullet that you practice with.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Thanks for the link, for some reason I searched their site and could only find out of stock items.

This might be the bullet to go with for starting out. Cheaper by a bit than the Hornady and I will primarily be using these for practice although occasional vermin eradication expeditions are not out of the question.

Thanks again.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

voip-1 wrote:Hey guys. I'm making my first foray into reloading soon. Going to pull the trigger on a Lee turret press, Lee 300 dies, a scale and other needed doodads in the next week or so.

I've got 250 pieces of pre-formed 300 brass coming from carolina brass so that I can get comfortable reloading before I start cutting, polishing and forming my own.
Be sure you resize those brass from Carolina, many of mine won't fit in my Sheridan gauge nor would they fit in my chamber if I didn't resize them.

(I found out the hard way as I loaded up a few hundred before trying them)
voip-1 wrote:I've got some H110 powder coming.

Now I'm trying to pick a decent bullet to use. I would prefer to stay on the lighter side so that I don't have to re-zero my optic when switching between these and other light weight rounds such as Barnes 110s.

Hornady 125 SST looks pretty good to me, can anyone recommend anything else out there that is good for plinking, cheap and easy for a newbie to load?
Speer TNT are some of the least expensive good value plinking bullets.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

I guess it depends. I like to keep my SSTs for hunting. For plinking I try and use what I can find the easiest or more plentiful. My most recent ones are some 150gr Hornady Spire points that I picked up for $21 per 100. I have found them cheaper than the FMJs.
For some plinkers that stay pretty close to my hunting POI I have used the Speer 110gr hot core. I've read where some have had feeding / jam issues with them but I haven't.
I've also went away from using H110 for much the same reason. I think it works best for the < 130gr pills. I use 4227 and can find it a lot easier than H110.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Hey guys thanks for the extra info, I have already ordered some of the Nosler bullets but am open to getting some of the other ones to try out. Having the lighter 110 bullet is appealing to me since it's the same weight as the Barnes cartridges I would use for actual hunting and my optic won't need adjustments when switching between the two.

It is a bummer about the Carolina brass, when it shows up I will start measuring it. What do you guys use to trim, do I have to get a 300 blackout jig?