Tips for converting brass in bulk?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

S4area51
Senior Silent Operator

Tips for converting brass in bulk?

Post by S4area51 »

So I had a longgg weekend converting some LC brass(4,000pc), and wondering if you guys have any tips on bulk processing.
Lube: I ran out of Hornady 1 shot lube, so I decided to try a DIY recipe. 1 bottle of LANOLIN oil, and 1 Bottle of 99% iso alcohol with a 1:10 mix in a spray bottle kicked ass!! Resized like butter, and for ~$20 I will have enough for THOUSANDS more.

Since I am still on a single stage, I made up a "brass kicker" to help speed the process; https://vid.me/e9K

My method:
CHOP, TUMBLE , RESIZE/DEPRIME , SWAGE, TUMBLE, TRIM, PRIME. This means handling each case 4 times. Multiply that by 4,000 :shock: :shock:

Fruits of my labor
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: Tips for converting brass in bulk?

Post by farm use »

I feel your pain! Thats pretty much how I do it. Like the kicker though, bet it does speed it up quiet a bit!
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Would be interested in the "brass kicker" technology, if you'd share.....
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

TX Sapper
Senior Silent Operator

Post by TX Sapper »

VENT625 wrote:Would be interested in the "brass kicker" technology, if you'd share.....

+1
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

There is a bunch of different aftermarket "case ejection" upgrades out there for single stage presses. Case kicker, case ejector and such. Run a search and you will finds quite a few choices and a few inspired versions.
Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkieyxl2Fk
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
300.BLK
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 300.BLK »

Thats why I love my Hornady AP Lock N load. I set it up as single stage but I run thru all my cases. All I do is feed!
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Post by polizei1 »

Mmm, depends on how much you want to spend. The best solution that I know of is a Dillon 1050 set up to process with an auto-drive.

BTW: You should switch to SS wet tumbling. I use a small cement mixer from harbor freight, I can do 1,500-2,000 cases in 1 hour of cleaning with just water, SS media, and a little bit of Dawn soap (add Lemishine if you wish). :mrgreen:

I'm not crazy on having super clean brass, so I clean them just as they are, then I'll cut/trim, then de-prime while I'm loading.
DiveR
Silent Operator

Post by DiveR »

How do you guys cut your brass. I've been using my lathe. Its pretty quick n neat but open too suggestions
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...you can decrease a couple steps by (1) form .223/5.56 case with decapper pin removed (2)cut (3)trim (4)debur (5)tumble

...when you do your normal reloading of the now tumbled brass, the normal decapping step will also resize the ID of the neck to the proper dimension as well as remove any burring from the trimming.

...with my initial attempts to cut cases down then form, I found out that the OAL after forming was shorter than I anticipated/desired due the forming process. Finding that right length to cut at to accommodate the shrinking was too time consuming if different brands of brass were used; each was different. Cutting AFTER forming removed all concerns in this regard...
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

r.tenorio671 wrote:...you can decrease a couple steps by (1) form .223/5.56 case with decapper pin removed (2)cut (3)trim (4)debur (5)tumble

...when you do your normal reloading of the now tumbled brass, the normal decapping step will also resize the ID of the neck to the proper dimension as well as remove any burring from the trimming.

...with my initial attempts to cut cases down then form, I found out that the OAL after forming was shorter than I anticipated/desired due the forming process. Finding that right length to cut at to accommodate the shrinking was too time consuming if different brands of brass were used; each was different. Cutting AFTER forming removed all concerns in this regard...
I'm going to try a few this way. Will the 300BLK cutting jigs work just as well AFTER resizing?

JeffWard
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...