Case-forming with sizing die?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Dogfish
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Case-forming with sizing die?

Post by Dogfish »

Best of luck. You specifically asked for input. Feel free to ignore it.

I bought a set of Lee .458 Socom dies, only ones available. Didn't work. I own Hornady dies for that caliber now. Some of Lee's dies work well (vanilla calibers), some don't (wildcat/emerging calibers), and their customer service is very good. They made me a special seater die for my .458 Socom when the one I received was incorrect.

I too have loaded and formed a metric buttload of brass.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

So far I have only made about 1500 pieces of 300 cases from once fired 5.56/.223 assorted brass ive picked up off the range with my lee dies. All of them have fed supers and subs so far without issue. Guess im one of lucky ones.
Last edited by TMD on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

TMD wrote:So far I have only made about 1500 piec3s of 300 cases from once fired 5.56/.223 assorted brass ive picked up off the range with my lee dies. All of them have fed supers and subs so far without issue. Guess im one of lucky ones.
I don't think you're one of the lucky ones; just think you're one of the smart ones. I formed some brass today, using my Lee sizing die. The brass had previously been run through a .223 sizing die, before I ran it through the cutoff saw. BTW, love the Squirrel Daddy (is that right?) jig. Works super.

Here's my plan: Going to partially form and size on station 1, using the Lee die...just not going to bump the shoulder much. Going to finalize forming and trimming @ station 4, also appropriately bumping the shoulder, using the rt1200. I'm optimistic. I'm also swaging the pockets @ station 2, using the excellent GS Custom swager.
tcoz
Silent But Deadly

Post by tcoz »

Whether or not the Lee sizing die works for you depends on the chamber in your particular gun. You should be able to tell right away by using your chamber as a case gauge. If you have no problem chambering the first one, you shouldn't have a problem with any of them in that particular gun.

You can always try it and if it doesn't work, then pop for a small base sizing die from RCBS or somebody else. You'll only have to use it for the initial forming then can use your regular Lee die for subsequent sizings. Or you can do what I finally decided to do. Buy 1000 preformed "B" cases for $89.95 from East Coast Arsenal. Multiple loadings later, the cost will be wind up being negligible.
"Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
-Unknown
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

.... I have both the RCBS FL SB die and Lee die and use them both. For conversion, I form with the RCBS to ensure case web is at or below minimum dimension. After first firing I resize with my Lee and have had no problems with the brass or rounds passing the EGW or Sheridan gauges....

NOTE: With the Lee die, make sure you follow the adjustment instructions, i.e., ram fully up, bottom die out on shell plate, drop ram a little and 1/4 turn more on die then lock it down. If you are using a turret or progressive, adjust the Lee sizer first then the other dies while the ram is fully run up against the Lee sizer. Had a friend that had his crimp die set lower than the sizing die and it kept the sizer from fully resizing the web of his converted brass...
tcoz
Silent But Deadly

Post by tcoz »

r.tenorio671 wrote:NOTE: With the Lee die, make sure you follow the adjustment instructions, i.e., ram fully up, bottom die out on shell plate, drop ram a little and 1/4 turn more on die then lock it down. If you are using a turret or progressive, adjust the Lee sizer first then the other dies while the ram is fully run up against the Lee sizer. Had a friend that had his crimp die set lower than the sizing die and it kept the sizer from fully resizing the web of his converted brass...
That's an excellent tip. It's another example of why I tell people who are interested in reloading that you have to be a detail oriented person, bordering on OCD to become a successful reloader. Thanks.
"Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
-Unknown
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

tcoz wrote: That's an excellent tip. It's another example of why I tell people who are interested in reloading that you have to be a detail oriented person, bordering on OCD to become a successful reloader. Thanks.

...my OCD was ingrained by 28+ years in the Army :lol: