STICKY - Good/Bad brass list converting 5.56->300blk

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

tilyukon

Re: STICKY - Good/Bad brass list converting 5.56->300blk

Post by tilyukon »

I have been reloading for some time now and I have found that the brass herter 223 from Italy( found at walmart), works well for my loads and I think it should be added to the list of good.
tlee_20
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tlee_20 »

tilyukon wrote:I have been reloading for some time now and I have found that the brass herter 223 from Italy( found at walmart), works well for my loads and I think it should be added to the list of good.

I am sorry but in my testing I have found Herters to be one of the thickest pieces available. Measuring 0.017", it is not recommended for blackout.
The Brass General
www.brassgeneral.com
www.facebook.com/thebrassgeneral
tilyukon

Post by tilyukon »

Well they worked for me, maybe I prepped my a little different then you did. they actually fit better then the lake city ones I made up. but again, im only using 150 g bullets.
BallisticTools
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BallisticTools »

Your chamber might have a loose neck, or the brass you had was just different. Cheaper brands seem to often use brass from various sources, some of it good for blackout and some of it not.
ballistictools.com/store
Blackout brass, gauges, and more
tlee_20
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tlee_20 »

tilyukon wrote:Well they worked for me, maybe I prepped my a little different then you did. they actually fit better then the lake city ones I made up. but again, im only using 150 g bullets.

Sounds like the brass is inconsistent or your chamber is loose. The weight of the bullet will not have anything to do with it. They're all 0.308" diameter bullets. The stuff I found (50-100 pieces from various lots) seemed to be all thick. You could even tell a big difference just looking at the case mouth. Looked huge compared to others.
The Brass General
www.brassgeneral.com
www.facebook.com/thebrassgeneral
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

Thank you for the updated list; went to the local range yesterday and was shocked to see how much 223/5.56 brass was left after a group of folks finished shooting.

Yes, I did ask if they were going to leave the brass and I did get their "ok" to pick it up :mrgreen:

Spent several hours sorting and now the cleaners will get a good workout.

Brass on the "bad" list will be used for 223/5.56, no waste around these parts :!:
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Wondering if factory sub brass is made to different specs than brass for supers. Reloaded some Rem sub bras, seem to loosen PP more. Most of mine is from 223 but picked up a couple box worth of (probably) sub brass at the range. Any experience or opinions? There is a big pressure difference between the loadings.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

popper wrote:Wondering if factory sub brass is made to different specs than brass for supers. Reloaded some Rem sub bras, seem to loosen PP more. Most of mine is from 223 but picked up a couple box worth of (probably) sub brass at the range. Any experience or opinions? There is a big pressure difference between the loadings.
No.
dammitman
Silent Operator

Post by dammitman »

has anyone tried to convert the ZQ brass that walmarts are carrying now for 556? i like the ammo for the price and its accurate in my guns as a 556. but i hope the brass is good for converting.
destrux
Silent Operator

Post by destrux »

Just had an entire batch of 100 LC09 that cracked the necks after one firing. Never had that happen before.

I got them fresh from a guy who bought a dump truck load of them from a military auction. They were unprocessed/uncleaned. I even sorted out all the SAW brass.

I'm annealing all the rest before I form them, I have a couple hundred more, I bought a .50 cal can full of them.