150 gr fmj-bt hornady OAL

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ESW

Re: 150 gr fmj-bt hornady OAL

Post by ESW »

AR-300 wrote:
sc23 wrote:Are both of those Hornady 3037's? The one on the left "appears" thinner but that might just be the lighting/reflection, seems be pressed a touch deeper and looks longer overall compared to the on on the right? Is that a 4 shot group on a 1/2" grid, 3 in one ragged hole? Nice work.
Identical bullets, it is just a trick of the light.
three shot group on 1/2" grid
I had poor luck with M80s, could never get them under 3"
But that was before I free floated the barrel and upgraded the optics
Nice.

I have a Wilson stainless fluted match barrel 16" 1-8. Free float with a Lancer hand guard. Leopold Mark AR Mod 0 3-9x40. If I had a better sight picture I think I could get these a bit tighter. My first three shots with 17.2 grains of 4227 produced .90", I was thrilled with that. I wonder, because I don't know. They say a .1 to .15" jump is ideal. Are all barrels reamed to the same tolerances or does every barrel require a different seating depth with this same bullet to get the ideal jump distance? I need to continue the powder drop stair step to find the idea load.
j0nx

Post by j0nx »

To resurrect a very old thread that is still valid today. I don't see how you guys are loading to the cannelure on the 150gr Hornady FMJBT and using that amount of lil gun or H110 - 15-16gr? I worked up my own loads years ago with lil gun and seated to the cannelure at 2.070" and with 14.5 gr lil gun I am averaging 1891fps out of a 16" barrel. I stuck with that load for years because it shoots great and the SD is very good with no signs of pressure and good brass life. Recently I started working up some new loads using H110 and found the exact 14.5gr of powder to give me an average of 1849fps with also a very good SD. 14.8gr of H110 didn't increase velocity much, increased my SD significantly and primers started looking a bit more flat so I settled with 14.5gr. Using the powder charge data that Hornady gives in the 9th along with that ridiculous long COAL might be fine but I would not recommend moving that bullet down to the cannelure, calling it a day and trying to use their listed charge for whatever velocity you want. Maybe the Hornady 10th has corrected their 300BLK load data using the proper COAL for this bullet?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

j0nx wrote:To resurrect a very old thread that is still valid today. I don't see how you guys are loading to the cannelure on the 150gr Hornady FMJBT and using that amount of lil gun or H110 - 15-16gr? I worked up my own loads years ago with lil gun and seated to the cannelure at 2.070" and with 14.5 gr lil gun I am averaging 1891fps out of a 16" barrel. I stuck with that load for years because it shoots great and the SD is very good with no signs of pressure and good brass life. Recently I started working up some new loads using H110 and found the exact 14.5gr of powder to give me an average of 1849fps with also a very good SD. 14.8gr of H110 didn't increase velocity much, increased my SD significantly and primers started looking a bit more flat so I settled with 14.5gr. Using the powder charge data that Hornady gives in the 9th along with that ridiculous long COAL might be fine but I would not recommend moving that bullet down to the cannelure, calling it a day and trying to use their listed charge for whatever velocity you want. Maybe the Hornady 10th has corrected their 300BLK load data using the proper COAL for this bullet?
The data in the 9th edition is not only wrong, it is dangerous. The 150 Fiji will jam the lands at the published data. They published a correction at least 5 years ago.

https://press.hornady.com/assets/pcthum ... 702177.pdf
Page 382, 300 Whisper/AAC Blackout – 150-155gr C.O.L.’s should read: GMX-1.962”, InterBond-2.210”, SST-2.210”, FMJ-BT-2.090”, Interlock RN-1.900”, InterLock SP & BTSP-2.106”, A-MAX-2.110”
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Synolimit

Post by Synolimit »

Good info.

I just wanted to chime in. I loaded my first 150gr #3037 tonight and I’m not sure of the Hornady reloading edition. Mine states H110 to use 12.3gr-15.9gr with a C.O.L. of 2.220. The bullet is obviously no where near the cannelure!! But when sitting next to a Federal 150gr the C.O.L. Is the same. Again obviously the Federal is using a different bullet because the cannelure is so much lower but if the rounds are the same length, does my round really need to be lowered more to the new data of 2.090??
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Synolimit wrote:Good info.

I just wanted to chime in. I loaded my first 150gr #3037 tonight and I’m not sure of the Hornady reloading edition. Mine states H110 to use 12.3gr-15.9gr with a C.O.L. of 2.220. The bullet is obviously no where near the cannelure!! But when sitting next to a Federal 150gr the C.O.L. Is the same. Again obviously the Federal is using a different bullet because the cannelure is so much lower but if the rounds are the same length, does my round really need to be lowered more to the new data of 2.090??
Only if you don’t want to die :shock:

If you can load that bullet, to that length and it won’t jam into the rifling in your barrel, then you are probably safe as long as there is enough bearing surface in the neck to hold the bullet in place.

I wouldn’t shoot it until that can be confirmed. Image
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Synolimit

Post by Synolimit »

dellet wrote:

If you can load that bullet, to that length and it won’t jam into the rifling in your barrel, then you are probably safe as long as there is enough bearing surface in the neck to hold the bullet in place.

Seems to be enough bearing surface to me, it doesn’t jam or have feeding issues at 2.22 or 2.09 and both sit fine in the magazine.
Whitezee

Post by Whitezee »

Synolimit wrote:
dellet wrote:

Seems to be enough bearing surface to me, it doesn’t jam or have feeding issues at 2.22 or 2.09 and both sit fine in the magazine.
Did you ever fire these rounds? I'm loading the same 3037 bullet at 2.220 and the cannelure is not even close to the case neck. There is so little neck tension and lack of bearing surface I can seat the bullet just using my calipers. The boat tail leaves only about a .125" bearing surface, and bullet is not concentric to the bore.
Synolimit

Post by Synolimit »

Whitezee wrote: Did you ever fire these rounds? I'm loading the same 3037 bullet at 2.220 and the cannelure is not even close to the case neck. There is so little neck tension and lack of bearing surface I can seat the bullet just using my calipers. The boat tail leaves only about a .125" bearing surface, and bullet is not concentric to the bore.
Yes I did. I haven’t chronographed yet but I tried up to 15gr of H110 with no pressure issues. I set the OAL to 53mm which is at the cannelure. So far zero issues.
Synolimit

Post by Synolimit »

Just chrono’d some rounds after working up from a few weeks ago.

AE used brass
Hornady 150gr #3037
H110 15gr
C.O.L. 53mm
5 shot average out of a PSA 8.5” was 1626ftps

Right before I shot these I tested AE 150gr which the box says 1900ftps. Not sure what barrrel they’re using. Hornady states 15.9gr is the max load at 1800ftps. Again not sure what barrel they’re using either but with a C.O.L. that’s incorrectly published, not sure 15.9gr will fit with mine loaded to 53mm.