First try at loading the Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ajb
Senior Silent Operator

First try at loading the Blackout

Post by ajb »

I just came in from firing my first reloads through my 16" AAC upper. I only loaded 10 to check for functioning. The first 5 cycled fine but didn't lock the bolt back when empty. Second 5 cycled fine and did lock back empty. I didn't chrono them or really check accuracy, strictly function.

I used cases I converted and:

220 grain SMK
WSR primer
10.8 gr. A1680
OAL 2.1"

I might try bumping the powder charge up. Any suggestions or critiques?

I've been reloading for 30 years, first time with anything like this.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: First try at loading the Blackout

Post by talonxracer »

New upper?
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

Your charge is pretty light, 11.3gr gave me 963 fps. I didn't go supersonic until over 12.4 gr. Bump your charge up a few more tenths. 11.3 did lock mine back.

Note, mine were out of a 8.5" barrel vs. Your 16".
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

ajb wrote:I just came in from firing my first reloads through my 16" AAC upper. I only loaded 10 to check for functioning. The first 5 cycled fine but didn't lock the bolt back when empty. Second 5 cycled fine and did lock back empty. I didn't chrono them or really check accuracy, strictly function.

220 grain SMK
WSR primer
10.8 gr. A1680
OAL 2.1"

I shoot a 16" AAC upper and 10.8 at COAL 2.120" what functioned well for me. You are loading a little shorter than I am but if you the load shoots accurate enough for your liking, you may be set. Chrony'ing them is the best way to go but I believe you are dancing all around your desired load for sure.

Good luck :)
ajb
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ajb »

talonxracer wrote:New upper?
New to me. I was told it had about 200 rounds through it when I bought it.
ajb
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ajb »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
ajb wrote:I just came in from firing my first reloads through my 16" AAC upper. I only loaded 10 to check for functioning. The first 5 cycled fine but didn't lock the bolt back when empty. Second 5 cycled fine and did lock back empty. I didn't chrono them or really check accuracy, strictly function.

220 grain SMK
WSR primer
10.8 gr. A1680
OAL 2.1"

I shoot a 16" AAC upper and 10.8 at COAL 2.120" what functioned well for me. You are loading a little shorter than I am but if you the load shoots accurate enough for your liking, you may be set. Chrony'ing them is the best way to go but I believe you are dancing all around your desired load for sure.

I think I'll load a few more like that to chronograph and a few at 11.0 grains to check also. At least I don't have to drive to a range, just walk out the back door.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

ajb wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:

220 grain SMK
WSR primer
10.8 gr. A1680
OAL 2.1"

I think I'll load a few more like that to chronograph and a few at 11.0 grains to check also. At least I don't have to drive to a range, just walk out the back door.

Walk out the backdoor? What you live in South Central LA?? :lol:
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

11.0 gr A1680 should be close to what you want. Why are you loading them so short ?
ajb
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ajb »

I think I'll load a few more like that to chronograph and a few at 11.0 grains to check also. At least I don't have to drive to a range, just walk out the back door.[/quote]

Walk out the backdoor? What you live in South Central LA?? :lol:[/quote]

If that were the case I'd just shoot out THROUGH the back door. :lol:
I have a 100 yard range in the back yard and 120 acres of farm land to play on.
ajb
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ajb »

randyrucker wrote:11.0 gr A1680 should be close to what you want. Why are you loading them so short ?
If you mean OAL, the manual I printed from the AAC website says 2.089" is optimal for feeding. I thought I was going a little long, and light on the powder.

from the website:

R-P 300 AAC BLACKOUT brass
• Remington 7.5 primers
• 11.2 grains of A1680 powder
• Sierra 220 MK loaded to 2.089 OAL (this length is optimal for reliable feeding
from USGI magazines)
• Chamber pressure 21,100 psi.