Powders For the 300 blk. Links to published Data added.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

skered53

Re: Powders For the 300 blk. Links to published Data added.

Post by skered53 »

gds wrote:
skered53 wrote:Thanks for posting the link to the burn chart,

I see Alliant reloader 10X is just three down on the chart from the VV N120, and also IMR 3031 is about 5 down from the N120, are these close enough to be close ?

Any idea on starting / max loads ?

short answer? no.

Long answer, you may, emphasis on may, be able to get a round to cycle the action but you will have a very low velocity compared to a powder that fits within the envelope. and this only speaks of supersonic loads, subsonic forget about it
So , are you saying there is not enough volume in the case to get the projectile up to full speed ? Since I have the 10X already.. ??

edit,,, 17 gr of R-10X cycles, locks back on empty, unknown fps at this time.

Also 17.2 gr of A2230 is doing the same, no signs of overpressure/ ie no flattened primers, but also no un-burnt powder, again not checked with Chrono as yet.

for plinking until I get the right powder, these suit me fine
Last edited by skered53 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

skered53 wrote:
gds wrote:
skered53 wrote:Thanks for posting the link to the burn chart,

I see Alliant reloader 10X is just three down on the chart from the VV N120, and also IMR 3031 is about 5 down from the N120, are these close enough to be close ?

Any idea on starting / max loads ?

short answer? no.

Long answer, you may, emphasis on may, be able to get a round to cycle the action but you will have a very low velocity compared to a powder that fits within the envelope. and this only speaks of supersonic loads, subsonic forget about it
So , are you saying there is not enough volume in the case to get the projectile up to full speed ? Since I have the 10X already.. ??

basically yes
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
davesc2

Post by davesc2 »

Been doing a lot of reading here and I haven't found an answer for my question so hopefully I didn't miss an answer somewhere.

I have...
AR with AAC 9" barrel with pistol length gas 1:7 twist w/suppressor.
Using Hornady 208gr AMAX

Powders...
IMR 4227
IMR 4198

Here's my question...
I've been using SR-magnum primers as used in the hodgdon load data but I see more people using regular SR primers. Obviously there's a difference...one is magnum and one is not but functionally is it that big of a deal? Any benefit to accuracy with either? Is going from magnum to non-magnum just a small change in powder charge?

It's mainly my ocd that isn't letting my head wrap around this one. Everytime I see someone's data with a regular SR primer I wonder why they aren't using magnum primers like hodgdon's load data says (not that hodgdon is gospel) and if they don't need magnum primers, why am I using magnum primers?

Mainly using this for plinking inside 100yds and some mild competition inside 50yds.

Thanks in advance
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

davesc2 wrote:Been doing a lot of reading here and I haven't found an answer for my question so hopefully I didn't miss an answer somewhere.

I have...
AR with AAC 9" barrel with pistol length gas 1:7 twist w/suppressor.
Using Hornady 208gr AMAX

Powders...
IMR 4227
IMR 4198

Here's my question...
I've been using SR-magnum primers as used in the hodgdon load data but I see more people using regular SR primers. Obviously there's a difference...one is magnum and one is not but functionally is it that big of a deal? Any benefit to accuracy with either? Is going from magnum to non-magnum just a small change in powder charge?

It's mainly my ocd that isn't letting my head wrap around this one. Everytime I see someone's data with a regular SR primer I wonder why they aren't using magnum primers like hodgdon's load data says (not that hodgdon is gospel) and if they don't need magnum primers, why am I using magnum primers?

Mainly using this for plinking inside 100yds and some mild competition inside 50yds.

Thanks in advance
If using magnum primers, i drop my charges down a bit and work back up incrementally again...i don't use mag primers often, but i have heard (and can see the logic) of mag primers being preferred by some to get more ignition for a more complete powder burn in the round...with certain powders, this could definitely be a useful measure, but so far, i haven't had excessive unburnt powder issues...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...can't speak with 100% certainty in regards to today's multitude of primers but a while back in time, there were two philosophies with regard to Magnum primers, i.e., (1) Hotter flame & (2) Longer flame time. The differing concepts were for the same basic problem, "incomplete powder burn".

The Winchester branded primers I've used in the last year have a statement on the box indicating they are suitable for magnum or standard usage...go figure :?:

The only powder I've used to date in the 300BLK that had some incomplete kernels burned is the Accurate 5744, but it was minimal, not enough to be concerned over...
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

davesc2 wrote: Powders...
IMR 4227
IMR 4198

Here's my question...
Magnum primers are recommended for ball powders (1680 of the three you listed above) which allows for a more complete ignition of the powder. You can use them with all powders though if you are trying to only use one type of primer. Then again, for an AR, I'd use a mil-spec primer (which is magnum with a thicker cup).

I have found very little speed difference in using magnum primers (CCI41) compared to standard primers (CCI400), all other factors being the same, about 10fps in 9mm pistol loads and in 300BLK subsonic loads.
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

Didn't have time to read the entire thread yet, but this link contains no 300 BLK options in the pull down menu

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
Butchman205

Post by Butchman205 »

Lyman has a very good resource for loading 300 BLK..."AR LOADING HANDBOOK".

It has a good bit of recipes for many powder/bullet combinations.
Furthermore, it has several good articles on loading different calibers in an AR, and is especially useful in loading 300 BLK. The section on 300 BLK has load combinations in supersonic, subsonic, AND suggestions for loading cast bullets.

I always use multiple printed sources before working up a new load...and the AR Loading Handbook is normally where I start when dealing with 300 BLK's.
(I apologize if I sound like an infomercial, but it has some great info!)
kscoggins

Post by kscoggins »

BlackLight wrote:Didn't have time to read the entire thread yet, but this link contains no 300 BLK options in the pull down menu

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Look in the rifle section......300blk is a rifle cartdridge
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Butchman205 wrote:I always use multiple printed sources before working up a new load...and the AR Loading Handbook is normally where I start when dealing with 300 BLK's.
Same here as well as comparing that data to online sources. It is amazing to see the variances with the same components.