Unique in 300blk?????

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Unique in 300blk?????

Post by Sharkbite »

Unique powder in 300 blackout?
I was in my LGS and talking to a guy in there. He says he uses Unique powder to load subsonic round in 300 blk. :shock:

Anybody have reliable loading data for this combo?

Im thinking 208 or 220 gn bullets

Any thoughts?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Unique in 300blk?????

Post by rebel »

Won't cycle an AR, but it does work. I think there are some loads in the forum on this. What size bullet and what weapon?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Im running both a 16" with a carbine gas system and a 9" AAC upper. Bullets would be either 208Amax or 220 gn boat tails. I guess i could load some of my 175gn match bullets if that all that would work

Im trying everything i can find powder-wise to get a functioning subsonic load. I just CANT find any 1680 powder around :evil:
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Sharkbite wrote:I just CANT find any 1680 powder around :evil:
h110/w296/300-mp
lil'gun
IMR-4227
1680 (as you know)
Relaoder 7
IMR-4198

All of the above have been noted on this site as useable for 300 BLK. Above 1680 in the list may require pistol gas systems. the others should (search the forum, don't quote me) work in both carbine and pistol gas even without a suppressor.

thats all i recall offhand without doing a search. good luck
KingIX
Silent But Deadly

Post by KingIX »

unique wont cycle an ar............I run little gun for my subs in my Ar

now if you want it to be a single shot then yes it will work... I am in the process of testing some for my handi and rem 700 but for the ar it is not a workable powder to utilize as a semi auto
BallisticTools
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BallisticTools »

Start around 6-8gr of unique under a heavy bullet. Check the barrel EVERY time to make sure that the bullet actually made it out when you are on the low end of the loads. You will probably see pressure signs around 10gr, and 6-8 gr might leave unburned powder in the barrel. Sorry I can't be more specific, but that's the ballpark for unique in blackout with a heavy bullet.

Unique in subsonic rifle is fun, it's amazingly quiet, quieter than a 22LR. Just be careful because pressure develops very quickly once you start getting too high, usually the difference between "no pressure signs" and "man this brass is really stuck in the chamber" is only a few tenths of a grain.

Oh BTW, primers can setback on really low pressure loads and that can be confusing if you aren't expecting it. A primer may look somewhat flattened because it set back and then mashed itself back in. This only happens at the very lowest pressures.

Edit - everyone who said it won't cycle an AR is definitely right, these comments are regarding single-shot operation. super quiet=no residual pressure=no gas system operation.
ballistictools.com/store
Blackout brass, gauges, and more
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

H4895 will work also. Do a search here .I think the loads were about 16grs. Find the post though.

JD