Silent But Deadly

Re: Light loads of W296???

Post by sranch »

I've shot hundreds of rounds with 147 FMJ and only 9 grains of A1680
Gunner220
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Gunner220 »

This references only W296 and H110 and the restrictions put on the powder's use by the manufacturers.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

boost wrote:rebel

Now you got me worried, I've been running 8.5 grs behind 155s for 4 months now with no problems.I currently increased it to 9.0 just because it snaps the BCG back a little faster.by no means I am encouraging anyone to use my loads. 9.0grs fills the case volume by 50%. Is this something I should reconsider?
talonxracer wrote:From what I understand and have been told as long as the amount of powder isn't so low that the primer is exposed to the empty airspace in the case there shouldn't be an issue. I had one so-called flashover with H110 and 208Amaxs loaded subsonically from my Encore. When I pulled the trigger there was absolutely no additional sounds, I put the rifle down for several minutes and when I extracted the case there was unburnt powder and the Amax was about 1" into the rifling. Since then I have always used some polyfill to take up excess space in the case and havnt had issue 1 since that time.
I have witnessed one detonation. It was with with H110 and a 44 mag rifle. Pieces everywhere, and first aid needed. Go easy and follow your load manuals.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.