Light loads of W296???

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Light loads of W296???

Post by Sharkbite »

Ive read that its not good to load 296 below the starting loads listed. Anybody care to explain why?

Any good loading data for 150gn boattails as a plinking/practice round using 296/110?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Light loads of W296???

Post by rebel »

It's called detonation. When to little powder lies horizontal in the case and acts as a little pipe bomb instead of a loaded round.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Well crap!!!

I just loaded 10 rounds with 13grains of 296 under 150gn bullet. Is thst too light?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

That is pretty light man, I am ready to hit the sack and don't have my manuals in front of me. You do have a manual of some sort, right? Not trying to be an A-hole but a whole lot of folks seem to try this without one. Bad Idea. Loading H110/W296 is trickier than people think. It does not lend itself to mistakes. The only way I would load that light is with a bit of polyfill for the rest of the case. Others may chime in here, and you did not list your coal so I will not venture to guess if this is safe. Mid weight bullets are kind of a no mans land with this caliber. Try the reloading thread in this section and it may give you some ideas.
Gunner220
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Gunner220 »

Sharkbite wrote:Well crap!!!

I just loaded 10 rounds with 13grains of 296 under 150gn bullet. Is thst too light?

Probably, I don't have the data for that bullet/combination in front of me. Basically do not go under the minimun load listed in your reloading manual and you will be fine. I am pretty sure this load is under spec and should not be used. The bright side you only have 10 bullets to pull!

Well Im have to eat those words. I just had to know for sure. Hornady 9 lists 12.7 296 under a 150 grain bullet as a starting load. Gonna be a powder puff, but who knows they might all go in the same hole. Cycling might be a problem with a load this light, can't say for sure. Just trying to give you possibilites.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Thanks Gunner, checked on the posts and considered heading downstairs to the war room but you saved me the trip. Get a manual of some type and read the hell out of it if you don't have one. Like Gunner said, they ain't gonna have much behind 'em but who knows?
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Thanks boys...

My manual Nosler 7 stops at 140 gn bullets in the 300blk. Not even any sub loads listed

I know enought to know i dont know enough....

Thanks again guys
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

rebel

Now you got me worried, I've been running 8.5 grs behind 155s for 4 months now with no problems.I currently increased it to 9.0 just because it snaps the BCG back a little faster.by no means I am encouraging anyone to use my loads. 9.0grs fills the case volume by 50%. Is this something I should reconsider?
SEMI - SILENT
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

From what I understand and have been told as long as the amount of powder isn't so low that the primer is exposed to the empty airspace in the case there shouldn't be an issue. I had one so-called flashover with H110 and 208Amaxs loaded subsonically from my Encore. When I pulled the trigger there was absolutely no additional sounds, I put the rifle down for several minutes and when I extracted the case there was unburnt powder and the Amax was about 1" into the rifling. Since then I have always used some polyfill to take up excess space in the case and havnt had issue 1 since that time.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Gunner220
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Gunner220 »

For those loads listed where a starting load is not shown, start 10% below the suggested maximum load and then approach maximums carefully, watching for any sign of pressure (difficult extraction, cratered and flattened or blown primers, and unusual recoil). H110 and Winchester 296 loads should not be reduced more than 3%.

Reduce H110 and Winchester 296 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 and Winchester 296 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders. DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.
THis is what winchester says. I would not ignore this. 3% of 25 grains is .75grains. That ain't much of a reduction. You might want to pick up another powder or two. Many people tend to be a bit too casual with these 2 powders. Gotta play by the rules with them.

Back in the early 80s I think, Winchester brought out a powder W785. The stipulation was not to reduce the data at all nor exceed the data at all. The powder was excellent in my 270, no chronographs for the common shooter back then but boy was it accurate. Pretty soon people started blowing up rifles and Winchester not only ceased production but pulled all remaining powders from the shelf.