Problems with Nosler 125 gr BT cycling in AR-15

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Shaw
Silent Operator

Problems with Nosler 125 gr BT cycling in AR-15

Post by Shaw »

I got some Nosler 125 gr ballistic tip bullets recently and loaded some up for use in my CMMG AR-15 and had problems with getting them to cycle. When they would jam I would remove the bullet and found that the green tip was bent over and the bullet pushed back into the case as if it had hit a flat surface and just stopped. The bolt left score marks on the side of the case as the base got pushed down towards the magazine. I wouldn't have imagined that a pointed bullet would have this type of problem.

Is this typical?

I am using a OAL of 2.06 with P-mags.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Problems with Nosler 125 gr BT cycling in AR-15

Post by plant.one »

crimped? no crimp?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Feed ramp issue? Are the ramps aligned properly? Does the Upper have the grooves to match the barrel extension? Ramps may need to be polished?
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I use an oal of 2.1" and 2.2" with the Nosler 125gr BT and experience no feeding problems in a variety of 300BLK AR uppers. Maybe the oal is too short for your particular AR. Make up a dummy round with no powder. Start at 2.2" oal and see if it will manually feed.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I crimp so no bullet pushback however I had that kind of issue with 208gr Amax bullets until I loaded them longer. I think I also had it with 130gr Barnes TTSX but same thing loaded longer and no issue.
Shaw
Silent Operator

Post by Shaw »

Thanks for the responses. I use a light crimp with the Lee FCD and the feed ramps are aligned properly. I will try using a longer OAL and see if that helps. Thanks guys!
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

Shaw...I'm running the same loads and also 2.06 OAL per Nosler data. No issues with feeding, cycling, or bullet deformation. Rifle is AAC 9" upper and PSA lower. RCBS FL sizing and seating, Lee FCD and P-mags. To date, I've run all my loads thru a Sheridan gauge just to make sure everything is good to go. No sure if this helps you with your diagnosis...but another data point. Good luck.