What Primer is used in Remington 300 BLK Brass

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

StorminNormin
Silent Operator

What Primer is used in Remington 300 BLK Brass

Post by StorminNormin »

Title says it all. Does anyone know what primer is used in new Remington Primed 300BLK Brass sold by Midway?
cplater

Re: What Primer is used in Remington 300 BLK Brass

Post by cplater »

I don't have the word from Remington but the ones I have look just like the Remington Small Rifle primer.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Remington 7 1/2 small rifle is used in the factory loads, primed brass should be the same.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
snoog37
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snoog37 »

I too would guess Remington would use their own components in their own brass. Likely the non magnum version.
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

The reason I am trying to find out is that I have been using a load I like for the Sierra 220gr SMK that is very accurate but will only cycle the bolt suppressed:
My rifle is a Noveske 10" 300BLK
Pistol length gas system
10", 1:7
H2 Buffer

8.6gr Hodgdon lilgun
2.120" OAL
Medium crimp on Lee FCD

I have used new Remington Primed brass and also Lake City formed brass that I used a CCI 400 primer in and with both those cases/primers the rounds would cycle my bolt suppressed just fine.

I loaded up some roads today using the same OAL and 8.6gr of Lil Gun but I used Remington 7.5 primers instead of the CCI 400 I have used in the past. I was shooting suppressed and the round was very accurate but the bolt would not cycle and the only change was the primer. Obviously I am going to have to work up the load again with this primer to find the sweet spot but any ideas on why the Remington 7.5 primer caused this change?

I know the 7.5 primer is considered a magnum primer but I would have thought any issue might be too much pressure instead of it not cycling the bolt completely. Is a magnum primer causing all of the powder to not burn or something? I will figure out the right load with this primer but I was just curious for some insight as to why.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

There may also be a difference in inner case volume between your LC and the Remington brass. I've heard whispers that the Remington brass is a little thinner... I think, which may result in more case capacity and mess with the load.

In any case getting a chrony on your loads will let you know if you can increase your charge more and get the best reliable load you can while staying subsonic. I would guess that you may be running a little light on the charge, especially if the primer change is the sole reason for the failure to cycle.

There is a loooooooong Lil'gun thread creeping around that may have some more optimal load data for you to help produce more pressure and stay subsonic :)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I have used new Remington Primed brass and also Lake City formed brass that I used a CCI 400 primer in and with both those cases/primers the rounds would cycle my bolt suppressed just fine.

I loaded up some roads today using the same OAL and 8.6gr of Lil Gun but I used Remington 7.5 primers instead of the CCI 400 I have used in the past. I was shooting suppressed and the round was very accurate but the bolt would not cycle and the only change was the primer. Obviously I am going to have to work up the load again with this primer to find the sweet spot but any ideas on why the Remington 7.5 primer caused this change?
What I am reading is that you used the the same powder load, with two different cases, and two different primers on two separate loading's. and the first functioned fine, the second did not, with the Remington 7.5's, in both cases, instead of 7.5's in some and CCI 400's in the other. The new Remington brass should have had 7.5's from the factory, so it is either inconsistencies in primer lot numbers or something else. If the primer lot change caused the problem, you are probably loading at the ragged edge of what will cycle your rifle. I am assuming it was the same powder lot anbd this is not another variable.

If you did not re-size the brass before loading the first batch, and did for the second shooting, this is also a change. It would be worthwhile to compare the head-space length of the new brass and the once fired reformed by you. The Remington brass I bought was certainly shorter in this respect than what I re-size to.
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

dellet wrote: What I am reading is that you used the the same powder load, with two different cases, and two different primers on two separate loading's. and the first functioned fine, the second did not, with the Remington 7.5's, in both cases, instead of 7.5's in some and CCI 400's in the other. The new Remington brass should have had 7.5's from the factory, so it is either inconsistencies in primer lot numbers or something else. If the primer lot change caused the problem, you are probably loading at the ragged edge of what will cycle your rifle. I am assuming it was the same powder lot anbd this is not another variable.

If you did not re-size the brass before loading the first batch, and did for the second shooting, this is also a change. It would be worthwhile to compare the head-space length of the new brass and the once fired reformed by you. The Remington brass I bought was certainly shorter in this respect than what I re-size to.
Actually I have had two loads work and one not with the same powder load and the powder was from the same container.

Lake City formed brass with CCI 400 - Cycled bolt
Remington new 300BLK primed brass - Cycled bolt
Hornady 300BLK brass with Rem 7.5 - Did not cycle bolt

I will try the CCI 400 and the Rem 7.5 with the same load but this time using one time fired Lake City brass I have reformed so the case is the exact same. I did not re-size the Remington or Hornady brass since the neck size seemed to be in spec, but they were a little longer than I like.
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

tallburnedmidget wrote: There is a loooooooong Lil'gun thread creeping around that may have some more optimal load data for you to help produce more pressure and stay subsonic :)
Yeah, that thread helped me work up the load I settled with. I will have to wait until it cools off a little before I can take the chrony out to my brother's land to use it. Ranges around here don't allow it and it sucks shooting at my brother's land with no shade in 105 degree heat. So right now I am going for accuracy and function first and then I will chrony.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

StorminNormin wrote:
dellet wrote: What I am reading is that you used the the same powder load, with two different cases, and two different primers on two separate loading's. and the first functioned fine, the second did not, with the Remington 7.5's, in both cases, instead of 7.5's in some and CCI 400's in the other. The new Remington brass should have had 7.5's from the factory, so it is either inconsistencies in primer lot numbers or something else. If the primer lot change caused the problem, you are probably loading at the ragged edge of what will cycle your rifle. I am assuming it was the same powder lot anbd this is not another variable.

Actually I have had two loads work and one not with the same powder load and the powder was from the same container.

Lake City formed brass with CCI 400 - Cycled bolt
Remington new 300BLK primed brass - Cycled bolt
Hornady 300BLK brass with Rem 7.5 - Did not cycle bolt

I will try the CCI 400 and the Rem 7.5 with the same load but this time using one time fired Lake City brass I have reformed so the case is the exact same. I did not re-size the Remington or Hornady brass since the neck size seemed to be in spec, but they were a little longer than I like.
I have some Hornady brass that I have not loaded, and some factory loads. There have been some people complaining of high pressure signs from factory loads so I had done some comparing of the the Remington and Hornady brass before. I did not cc check for volume, only externally measured. The shoulder on the Hornady brass is pushed back at the shoulder close to .008 more than the Remington. From memory Hornady 1.062, Remington 1.070. Not sure if this is a big enough difference to lose enough gas volume or pressure to not cycle the bolt, but could be part of the equation if the load is marginal.

This is part of the reason I resize new brass, eliminates one of the variables.