Subsonic loads tested

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Subsonic loads tested

Post by rebel »

Played around loading supers on Saturday during the deluge, and decided to load up some subs.
200 grain lapua FMJ subsonic rebated boatail
10.7 gr of A 1680
16" carbine, same gas system.
NO Chrony yet but was Subsonic by ear
Popped three quick , not rested at 50 yards with a 2 inch high hold since I have scope dialed for supers. They hit exactly 2 inches low for that zero.
Shot into same media as I have pictured in other threads.
Grouped nice, impressed because I was unsupported, 1 projo passed through and by the exit hole and the path through the media, it tumbled HARD. Exit hole looked like a mess. Recovered 2 projos and they had tumbled as well created impressive tears through the media. I did not include pics as the bullets were pristine and you all have been there done that. I would still not use this for the hunting of anything I wanted to recover, but as a self defense round-maybe. All rounds cycled and BHO on last shot. Will chrony results of this round when I get a chance.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic loads tested

Post by dtom29 »

Any chrono data yet?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Will try tom. brother, been one hell of a week. Floods last weekend and bu#$shyt at work all week. Today I just spent a bit of time at the LGS and caught up on old times. Sorry dude. Will get ASAP.
Rich De
Silent Operator

Post by Rich De »

Mike............Ya'lls are killing this newbie with all your abbreviations? Its like a foreign language trying to figure out what all these things mean? I get bullet designations like FMJ but SBR's, LGS and a bunch of others are killing me :shock: I would be nice if there was a "sticky" with this stuff listed so newbies could figure out whats going on?
Rich De
ohl_san
Silent But Deadly

Post by ohl_san »

SBR: short barreled rifle
LGS: local gun store
BHO: bolt held open
nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache. Apaches have machine guns & missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry an absolute death machine
TED
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

DAY-Dumb ass yankee :lol:
Trinidad Bill
Silent Operator

Post by Trinidad Bill »

Rich De wrote:Mike............Ya'lls are killing this newbie with all your abbreviations? Its like a foreign language trying to figure out what all these things mean? I get bullet designations like FMJ but SBR's, LGS and a bunch of others are killing me :shock: I would be nice if there was a "sticky" with this stuff listed so newbies could figure out whats going on?
Rich De
Yes, I agree an acronym page would be helpful. Even the bullet types I am constantly looking them up. It took me a while to get the hang. Google helps.
Rich De
Silent Operator

Post by Rich De »

Hey Mr. "Rebel"........................Just don't forget who won that war :lol: 8)
(I hope he has a sense of humor :lol: ) He knows where I live!
Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the acronyms!
BTW............I just got chastised by Mr. Rebel for using a first name? Hmmm? Don't recall seeing that as a "no-no?" On my other forums there is no problem using a first name if you know the person so I stand corrected :oops:
Rich De
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

the theory behind those rebated boattails sounds interesting, quick stabilizing like flatbase bullets but with long range accuracy of a typical boattail
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I liked the theory and they made a hell of a hole through the media. Will set up the chrony in a bit. Rich De, not sure if it's a forum rule, just my rule 8)