hornady 130gr SP(advice needed)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rkreimer10
Silent Operator

hornady 130gr SP(advice needed)

Post by rkreimer10 »

I am just starting out reloading and trying to get things set up and I had some misfortune tonight. I have pretty much Lyman everything, my main question is COAL, I have only tried to make dummy rounds so far to get the dies set, No primers or powder. I want to upload pictures but not sure how. I will do my best to explain.

Here is the equipment I am currently using:
1.Lyman T-Mag II turret press
2.Lyman 300AAC Blackout dies
3.Lyman case prep xpress
4.Lyman 2500 tumbler
5.Lyman case trimmer
6.digital caliper

Products:
1. Homemade converted .223/.556 to 300aac (1.360 =/-.002)
2. Hornady bullets 130gr SP (item #3020)

Ok, after I get the brass ready for a bullet I set the brass in the shellholder and place a bullet on top and sart to set the bullet depth per the instructions. Once I got the bullet set to 2.219 it was not very deep in the brass neck. it only was in .058 and I could wiggle it out by hand. Now I know I have some room to play with the depth of seating the bullet but here are where my questions are.

1.Is this deep enough in and I just need to use a Lee FCD to keep it more secure.(my friend has an extra he said I could have)
2.If it is not set deep enough, how deep is ideal?
3.How important is COAL from min to max spec? How much of a difference does it make?

I know I have so much to learn and I realize that these are very simple questions to most but please bare with me as I am trying to learn as best I can. I have done so much reading and my eyes feel like they are about to burst. I know I haven't even got to the power yet, I just mainly do not want to injure myself or anyone else for that matter until I have a better understanding on reloads. So until I get my COAL set I won't be working on making any loads with powder or primers. I am also waiting for a Sheridan gauge before I make rounds too so I know my brass is in spec.

As far as the Lyman equipment I am very please. I accidently went to resize some brass a bullet fell out of and forgot to re-lube it. Yup it got stuck and I broke the die trying to get it removed. Luckily, It is still within the 30 days I purchased it from opticsplanet.com so they are going to exchange it for me. So greatfull for them as they have had amazing customer support and super fast free shipping. You can check availability on there products before purchasing them to see how long it will take plus usually have 10% off promos.

Any advice is welcome and thank you for taking the time to read!
IdahoFireman
Silent But Deadly

Re: hornady 130gr SP(advice needed)

Post by IdahoFireman »

Your first step. Get a couple of good reloading manuals, and read them a couple of times. Also, hornady info will advise of the appropriate case overall length. Good luck!
rkreimer10
Silent Operator

Post by rkreimer10 »

I just saw that in the hornady book for that bullet.it states the c.o.l. is 2.100

Thank you for your reply. I am learning so much on where to find all the info. This forum has been the most helpful!
RobertMT
Silent Operator

Post by RobertMT »

In general, you want to seat your bullets, at least one caliber deep, if practical, (.308") and you should not rely on the crimp, to hold bullet, you should have proper neck tension.
The greatest danger to America is a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like Obama with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit the follies of Obama than to restore the necessary common sense
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

That specific bullet requires a shorter COL to clear the ribs on the inside of the magazine due to having a Tangent Ogive, the longer pointier bullets like the Barnes 110g Tac-Tx and 125SMK which have a Secant Ogive, will clear the ribs with a much longer COL.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Here is a an easy tutorial on about how to upload pictures to a forum like this one, click the following link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnPAhAdxZQ

To sum up the steps you:

1. Upload you picture from your machine to a website like http://www.tinypic.com like in the video (tinypic.com is free and does not require a login to be created)

2. Once your picture is uploaded to tinypic.com you copy the "Code" content that tinypic.com generates for your you.

3. You come to this forum and open a post, then Paste the copied "Code" content (from tinypic.com) into the post and that "Code" content will be interpreted by the forum and will suck in and display your picture once you save/submit your post.

I'll create a post with this info as that youtube tutorial is as simple as it gets and is very helpful for those who are not familiar with posting images this way or those learning the ways of the interwebs :)
XD9

Post by XD9 »

I've shot 200 rd of Hornady 130gr SP with no problem. Cases trimmed to 1.358" and COL 2.010".

From left to right, third bullet is Hornady 130gr SP #3020
Last edited by XD9 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

IdahoFireman wrote:Your first step. Get a couple of good reloading manuals, and read them a couple of times. Also, hornady info will advise of the appropriate case overall length. Good luck!
+1
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
rkreimer10
Silent Operator

Post by rkreimer10 »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was going to buy the hornady 9th edition but I read someone there was a misprint in it. But if you get the 2nd print its fixed. How do you know if its the second print. And could you recommend names of good reloading books.

Once again thank you all for paving the way of blackout reloading to make things easier for a noob like me?
rkreimer10
Silent Operator

Post by rkreimer10 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Here is a an easy tutorial on about how to upload pictures to a forum like this one, click the following link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnPAhAdxZQ

To sum up the steps you:

1. Upload you picture from your machine to a website like http://www.tinypic.com like in the video (tinypic.com is free and does not require a login to be created)

2. Once your picture is uploaded to tinypic.com you copy the "Code" content that tinypic.com generates for your you.

3. You come to this forum and open a post, then Paste the copied "Code" content (from tinypic.com) into the post and that "Code" content will be interpreted by the forum and will suck in and display your picture once you save/submit your post.

I'll create a post with this info as that youtube tutorial is as simple as it gets and is very helpful for those who are not familiar with posting images this way or those learning the ways of the interwebs :)

I was hoping the days of photobucket was over. I have been spoiled on other forums just loading pictures right from my phone and not needing a hosting site. Oh well it's a small price to pay to have access to all you amazing people that are willing to help others!