30-30 Flat Nose bullets in 300 Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 30-30 Flat Nose bullets in 300 Blackout

Post by oneyeopn »

Hi y'all, I just recently finished the build with my DSA upper and was going through their barrel break in procedures today, PLUS got to go shooting just a month after my hip replacement surgery. Because I didn't want (nor was able to) walk back and forth to the target and I was actually more busy with my barrel break in but was paying attention to the different rounds. I was also sighting in my rifle so there was a lot going on...LOL :lol: anyway here is my report for the following bullets:

Hornaday 160gr FTX for 30-30's not the other ones!!! first two shots 3" low 1" right, scope adjustment 3 bulls. COL 2.050" functioned perfect.

Pulled M80 147gr FMJ COL 2.100 Started out super good then my scope mount came loose, only I didn't know it came loose. Still shot respectable, definitely accurate enough for coyotes or Deer. functioned perfectly.

Hornady 150gr RNFB Interlock 2.000" COL, not very accurate bullet, tumbled into the target on the first shot, would only feed at manual cycle speeds. Would jam every time you let it try to auto-load, fired two...gave up on the rest and will pull them!

Speer 150gr Flat Soft Point 2.065" COL...these babies fed like a dream and were pretty accurate, we had a storm trying to move in so I should have given the barrel time to cool down but didn't. As the barrel heated up the accuracy suffered but that is nothing new that free floating and patience wont fix.

Speer 150gr SPBT 2.100" COL Accuracy was acceptable but my scope mount was loosening up. I know that skewed my results.

I didn't set up my chronograph and these were all experimental handloads that I worked out for me. All of these were loaded with 17gr of Lil' Gun and a CCI #41 Primer with a mixture of converted commercial .223 brass. Lee 3 die set, Lee case length gauge and Wilson Cartridge Headspace Gauge.

there were absolutely no signs of overpressure but I will have to play with my loads and fine tune them. I do have an H2 buffer and the rifle is so much smoother than my 5.56 and it has an H2 in it also.

I am going to enjoy using my 30-30 bullets in my 300blk, except for the round nose which wont work. I will get my Chrony Set up and do some labeling next time but that also will be pretty soon.
"I know if you don't have pics it didn't happen"
NRA, Oathkeepers, USMC 75-79
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Medic650

Post by Medic650 »

How are you getting the Flat Nose bullets to cycle in an AR15 or are you? I've tried some 150gr 30-30 bullets but can't get them to cycle. I've tried different seating depths and magazines.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice info. Thanks for the post! I look forward to the chrony info, thanks :)
oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

Medic650 wrote:How are you getting the Flat Nose bullets to cycle in an AR15 or are you? I've tried some 150gr 30-30 bullets but can't get them to cycle. I've tried different seating depths and magazines.
They cycled perfect for me, I had 20 of them loaded up and at the beginning of shooting them I was stopping in between rounds to boresnake the barrel, I would reinsert the bullet in the mag that I had just cleared and reinsert the mag into my rifle, send the bolt home and shoot, I did that for 4 shots and then shot it normally, No FTF's, FTE's or anything. Ran great. These are Speer Soft Flat Nose 150gr COL 2.065" and they fed perfect... :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

Great report. I chose H110 to keep the barrel from heating up as much, especially for these summer months. Will burn up my Lilgun in the winter (or shoot slower).
I too have had good results with the Sierra 150gr FNSP 30-30.

Anxious to hear back a report on some of the Berrys or Extreme 150gr plated 30-30 bullets.
oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

Thanks for the tip on the H110, I have the powder I have just been using it for my 45Colt in my Rossi M92. When I was researching the powders it seemed that I read that Lil' Gun was achieving the velocities but at lower pressures. Maybe I am confused. I have been thinking about loading some up with H110 just to try.

I should have explained earlier but didn't.....on the round nose bullets....they actually were trying to feed but they kept getting stuck in the feedramps. Unlike other bullets that have a narrow section in front of the thickest part of the bullet, the round nose starts there. That narrow section at the front of the bullet keeps the shoulder of the bullet out of the groove of the feedramp. I have M4 feedramps and although nice I haven't polished them yet. I really looked the FTF's over so that I understood what was going on. I hope this covers this. :idea:
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

I opened up my feed ramps and smoothed and polished all edges and the round and flat nose bullets have feed without any issues. the typical M4 feed ramp are narrower than the 30 cal bullet and have some sharp edges. No need for this with the 300blk designed long and pointed bullets, but when going outside the envelope trying these chunky bullets you have to make some adjustment, opening the feed ramps is rather easy fix with a dremel or die grinder.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

oneyeopn wrote:Thanks for the tip on the H110, I have the powder I have just been using it for my 45Colt in my Rossi M92. When I was researching the powders it seemed that I read that Lil' Gun was achieving the velocities but at lower pressures. Maybe I am confused. I have been thinking about loading some up with H110 just to try.
Load data shows higher velocities at lower pressures with Lil'Gun, which is why I use Lil'Gun. I want the maximum velocity to try and achieve maximum potential bullet expansion for hunting purposes. A side effect of Lil'Gun is that it burns hot vs other powders which can be annoying when firing many rounds. I have read reports that Lil'Gun heat has shown no issues on a rifle and I have seen no issues, so I have not been worried. I also do not just rattle off rounds when developing loads or plinking to avoid the extra heat, but DO NOT touch your barrel unless you want to get burned :)

This past Saturday, using Lil'Gun, I was able to push a 150gr Barnes MPG an avg of 2013fps seeing no pressures signs with room for maybe 1 more grain of powder. I do not think this would have been possible with another supersonic powder :)
Medic650

Post by Medic650 »

talonxracer wrote:I opened up my feed ramps and smoothed and polished all edges and the round and flat nose bullets have feed without any issues. the typical M4 feed ramp are narrower than the 30 cal bullet and have some sharp edges. No need for this with the 300blk designed long and pointed bullets, but when going outside the envelope trying these chunky bullets you have to make some adjustment, opening the feed ramps is rather easy fix with a dremel or die grinder.
I'll have to give it a try. I've smoothed mine some but didn't open them up.
oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Load data shows higher velocities at lower pressures with Lil'Gun, which is why I use Lil'Gun. I want the maximum velocity to try and achieve maximum potential bullet expansion for hunting purposes. A side effect of Lil'Gun is that it burns hot vs other powders which can be annoying when firing many rounds. I have read reports that Lil'Gun heat has shown no issues on a rifle and I have seen no issues, so I have not been worried. I also do not just rattle off rounds when developing loads or plinking to avoid the extra heat, but DO NOT touch your barrel unless you want to get burned :)
I load my 5.56 with CFE223 which also burns hot and have learned not to touch the barrel. Now that I have my barrel broken in I can really get serious about testing my loads. I to am trying to come up with a good Western Kansas Deer round and am thinking that some of my present loads are showing promise.

I will polish my feedramps, just to alleviate the situation and keep from having any further FTF's, Thanks :D