110gr Sierra Varminter HP

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Alien
Silent Operator

Re: 110gr Sierra Varminter HP

Post by Alien »

Okay, I am finished with the testing of the 110 Varminter. I loaded up several more exactly like the ones that registered 2700 fps but I measured and weighed each bullet this time, matter of fact I did the entire box of a 100. I have to commend Sierra, these bullets are pretty close to all being the same, +- .4 on the weight and only one that was .307 out of a 100. Better than any other bullet lots I have measured. I think those fast ones had to be under sized in diameter... only thing that makes sense.

I did not get any where close this time to that speed. 10 shot string, 9 fired another failure on the last round. Average 2429 ES 31 SD 16. Of the 9 shots fired through the chrono only one had ejector marks and they were very light, high was 2450. Group could have been covered with a nickel.

I had 60 loaded total so I was playing around with the rest and as long as I did not fire the last two rounds I was good. Loaded 5 and it failed on the last round, took that same round that failed since it did not damage this one and loaded up on the top and on the left side of the mag and it loaded and fired perfect. So I will load up the rest of what I have left and probably keep them around for show off loads... shoot the dime off the fence post @ 100 yards standing no rest :P

So max load for me was 20.2gr 300-MP,110gr Varminter at OAL 2.015, Comp. 1.622,CCI BR-4, Hornady 300 blackout brass Averaged 2429fps, .50 group out of my Barbie. The only bullet so far that I have tried that matches 125 Match Kings in accuracy.

Pretty convinced the last round will always fail to load in my gun with the 2.015 OAL. Guessing when a round is on the left side of the mag that there is a difference in feed height or position when there is another round under it as opposed to just the follower so those rounds feed properly and the last one fails. Could probably take and sand down the follower divider on the left side a bit so the last round would feed a bit more to the right would more than likely fix it, but might mess up the feeding of other bullet types.

Here comes the 125gr Pro-Hunters plenty of these in stock locally.
pascalp

Post by pascalp »

110gr Sierra 2110 are fine for me. OAL is less a problem with a bolt.
50shots, 110 yards

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Those are some very nice groups! Good work on that, I may have to try that mp-300 powder. Those ES numbers are much lower then when using Lil Gun.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

If you are going to try 300-MP, keep this in mind. It does not do very well with an air gap between the bullet and powder and even the slightest compression on it and the FPS can go up by 100 +.

It meters very well out of my Lyman and it is very clean burning, brass takes only about 30 minutes in the tumbler to clean, the bore takes 5 patches to clean and two of those are solvent (after 200 rounds).

It is pretty close to H110, it takes "about" 1 gr more to equal the same velocity as long as you are not compressing the 300-MP. Use a little more powder but for the ease of cleanup and consistent velocity it is an excellent powder. Does not produce much heat in the barrel so all your shots group very well with it. Sorry I am starting to sound like a powder salesman. Try it, you will probably like it for supers, with its compression behavior it might even be good for subs... have yet to try any subs yet but that is one of my future projects.
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

pascalp wrote:110gr Sierra 2110 are fine for me. OAL is less a problem with a bolt.
50shots, 110 yards

Please share What is your oal and load . did you anneal, were these full length sized. In a bolt gun I would neck size only.

Thanks
JD
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

pascalp wrote:110gr Sierra 2110 are fine for me. OAL is less a problem with a bolt.
50shots, 110 yards

Please share What is your oal and load . did you anneal, were these full length sized. In a bolt gun I would neck size only.

Thanks
JD
pascalp

Post by pascalp »

.Brass: Remington 223, cut, sized, trimed, fireformed. Neck ream (Not really needed, R-P 223 are thin walled), neck size.
.Bullet : Sierra 2110
.Powder : vita N110 15gn

OAL : 1.882
Fully seated.
"With the 2110 Sierra, I'm at 0.151" from rifling. I could get a litle bit closer as the bottom of the bullet is actually seated near the beginning of the collet."

No annealing, but it's planned, I'm building a machine to facilitate operations.

The story of my rifle, reloads.
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=83504
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

Thanks, that may be too light to cycle my ar. good shooting.

JD
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

da bugman wrote:Thanks, that may be too light to cycle my ar. good shooting.

JD
I went from 16.5 to 17.4 with N110 with an OAL 2.030 Comp. 1.634 and they all cycled fine in my ar.

17.4gr N110 110gr Varminter (2110) High 2178 low 2157 average 2168 ES 21 SD 7 (5 shot) With the ES and SD numbers you would think the accuracy would have been pretty good but it was 2" @ 100 yards. I got better accuracy with the OAL 2.015 in mine but I did not try that OAL with the N110.
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

I got my 2 Lancer L5 AWM 10rd mags in and decide to take 30 rounds of the Varminters with me. I loaded both mags with three rounds each and went through 30 rounds without a failure. I am going to go ahead and order a couple of the AWM's in 30 rd, they are pretty nice mags do not know how they will hold up over time but the springs felt firm and mag looks and feels solid.

Not enough testing to trust the load but I am going to say that the cause of my failures was the Gen 2 followers. Going to go ahead and get around 400 more just because of the accuracy.

I retract my statement on the 300-MP being a good subsonic powder. I loaded up some 208 A-Max with 9.7gr 300-MP OAL 2.12 they were still supersonic @ 1220 fps but would not cycle the bolt on a carbine gas system with H2 buffer and Miculek brake. My first attempt at a sub, it was pretty funny since I had never shot such a heavy weight at such a low velocity. The sound even without a can was pretty quite but the sound of that 208 gr hitting the dirt 100 yards away some second later was cool. :lol: