Looking for experienced subsonic reloaders

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

sranch
Silent But Deadly

Looking for experienced subsonic reloaders

Post by sranch »

My goal is to use a stock gun with carbine length gas block and find the lowest grain bullet that will cycle. I would think the main variable is powder.

Using this chart for reference http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html is it possible to get a 180 grain bullet to cycle using even a slower powder than #70 Alliant Reloader #7?

What's the smallest grain bullet someone has got to cycle in a carbine length gas block gun and still stay safely subsonic? And what did they use?
bani
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for experienced subsonic reloaders

Post by bani »

what are you trying to accomplish?
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

That is in the first sentence.
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

If i remember correctly someone said they could not go lower than 200gr. and cycle. I am also wondering why you want to go to lower weight bullets. The only reason i would want a lighter bullet would be if my twist was to slow to stabilize the heavier bullets.
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

lower weight bullets cost less. You know where I can get 220 grain bullets for $0.20 a piece?
JoshQuerin

Post by JoshQuerin »

WELL this does not meet your specifications but a good buddy of mine has gotten 175gr mk's to cycle reliably out of his 16 inch sota upper with carbine gas system using 4227. I know its not slower than your #7 but it works on his gun subsonic and I've seen and shot it. It is not as accurate as the heavier bullet but you didn't make that requirement in your first post.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Doesn't quite meet your requirements, but it worked for me.

I have used 178gr AMAX with 10.1gr A1680. 935fps out of 16 inch barrel. Took 2 6 pointers with the load.

16 inch carbine gas system, with a .125 gas port. standard everything else
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I think the 150gr Barnes MPG bullet would be awesome subsonic if it still disintegrates/explodes at subsonic speeds. Imagine the pest control possibilities :D
kR-15
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kR-15 »

Legionaire wrote:If i remember correctly someone said they could not go lower than 200gr. and cycle. I am also wondering why you want to go to lower weight bullets. The only reason i would want a lighter bullet would be if my twist was to slow to stabilize the heavier bullets.
I had success with 178gr A-Max cycling in a 16" upper and stabilizing. No chrony data yet but firing 150gr supers in the next mag was much louder
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."--- Thomas Jefferson

http://kR-15.com - reloading recipes, shooting tips and more!
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Legionaire wrote:If i remember correctly someone said they could not go lower than 200gr. and cycle. I am also wondering why you want to go to lower weight bullets. The only reason i would want a lighter bullet would be if my twist was to slow to stabilize the heavier bullets.
They are wrong. I have 180g SSTs cycling with and withoput a can in 2 SBRs. Don't buy into 300 BLK experts unless they've actually tried it.

I am going Wednesday and will film 180/200/208/220/245 all run with and without a can.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=80394&start=150

ETA: Carbine gas requires A-A1680 and I AM WRONG - I haven't tried it yet with less than 200g subs.
Last edited by Maryland_Shooter on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.