Which set of dies

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

velo555
Silent But Deadly

Which set of dies

Post by velo555 »

I am trying to decide which set of dies to purchase. My choices are RCBS AR series small base dies, Lee pacesetter dies, Forester Ultra micrometer dies, Redding standard FL or Redding National match dies. What are you thoughts on these die sets?

I already have a Lee factory crimp die and Lee universal decapper on the way. I will be using them in an old RCBS Rockchucker my father in-law just gave me.
Victor Lopez
Scorpion rider
Silent Operator

Re: Which set of dies

Post by Scorpion rider »

I have used Forster and Lee. You will get perfect brass forming from Forster. They are worth the extra money. Get a case gauge from zapp on this forum if you don't already have one.
Jupiter7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jupiter7 »

I formed 280 cases with rcbs AR small base dies, no issues. I started with the hornady dies and have formed at least 500+ with them. After all is said and done, I went back to the hornady dies, seem more robust for forming and they make in spec brass.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I have Lee, RCBS sb, and Lyman. I must say the Lyman are my favorite. Lees have inconsistent seating depth issue. My RCBS set doesn't size all the way to the bottom of the case, but the seater is great. Lyman is perfect all around.
longranger
Senior Silent Operator

Post by longranger »

Redding, better quality than RCBS,Hornady,Lyman, not quite Forster but lot's better than the others.
kR-15
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kR-15 »

I'm happy w my Lee dies.

I haven't reformed any brass but they work great for my subsonic and supersonic loads.
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."--- Thomas Jefferson

http://kR-15.com - reloading recipes, shooting tips and more!
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

Scorpion rider wrote:I have used Forster and Lee. You will get perfect brass forming from Forster. They are worth the extra money. Get a case gauge from zapp on this forum if you don't already have one.
I forgot to mention I have one of Zappa's gauges. Forester ultra is my first choice for dies. Then RCBS AR.
Victor Lopez
ohl_san
Silent But Deadly

Post by ohl_san »

Do a quick search this question has been asked numerous times. Normally it comes down to personal preference, and my preference is Forster.
nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache. Apaches have machine guns & missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry an absolute death machine
TED
snoog37
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snoog37 »

1 Forster
2 Redding
3 There is no third, as I can always find 1 or 2 (thankfully)
KS63

Post by KS63 »

I have the Forster Ultra Set. I'm a machinist and these dies are well made. The FL sizing die makes very pronounced shoulders. I'm sure the Redding dies are good too, but their seating die also crimped and I wanted to crimp in a separate stage.