300 Blackout Bullet Too Short to Feed Thread

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

300 Blackout Bullet Too Short to Feed Thread

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hi everyone. I figured I would start up a thread to identify bullets that are too short and cause feeding issues in AR's. If this thread gets any traction maybe it will spawn other "Bullet ????? To Feed" threads where "???" may be "too long", "too rounded", "too oddly shaped", etc.

Please use the following format and let us all know which bullets fail to work or have issues. Thanks :)

Brand: ABC Company
Bullet Model/Line: XXXX (Think Game King, TTSX, Accubond, etc)
Bullet Weight: X grn
Bullet Style/Description: Round Nose/FMJ/Ballistic Tip/etc
Bullet Diameter: .308/.310/.311/etc
COAL: X.XXX
Magazine Used: XXXX
Issue: Example - Bullet was too short to achieve a long enough COAL to feed from my magazine on a consistent basis. Failed to feed 1 out of every 3 shots. Single loading seemed to work well.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Blackout Bullet Too Short to Feed Thread

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Great topic to centralize information for interested parties. It would be useful as a guide but it's not in any way definitive as there's enough variability between different guns & mags that what might be ok in one person's AR isn't workable in someone else's.

For example, take 110gr. .30 Carbine RN-FMJ bullets. A lot of guys have issues with them but I've read others who have had luck with them.

Same with .310-.311 bullets. Depending on individual chamber differences and what brass is being used, these could shoot fine in one person's AR but not chamber in another.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I agree. I figured the worse case would be that some particular bullets could be identified as repeat offenders. This way fools like myself don't go out and buy a lot of 1000 because they are cheap and currently available, and then get stuck with them. I have a 300 Bolt gun and other 30 cal rifles so I could plink with short bullets but I would like to have an educated guess on what I am buying.

Btw, I really wouldn't jump in and buy a whole bunch like that but with these hard times getting components it gets tempting :)

Thanks for the feedback though. It will do good to keep in mind that not everyone's experience may be the same :)
AmmoMan

Post by AmmoMan »

From the commercial side of loading this cartridge, length is very critical to operating various semi-auto firearms. My company uses many different projectiles both in commercial and "custom" 300 Blkout rounds.
I have personally used 110gr 30 carbine projectiles with some success but I do not offer them in any of our commercial offerings because they are a bit finicky. I really like the M80 bullet (147gr FMJ) because it is very forgiving in almost any gun. The length of the bullet as well as the ability to push it with many different powders makes it a great projectile for the home reloader (and they are very affordable).
I have also used with great success for my own gun the Hornady 220gr round nose bullet designed for the 30-30. This bullet is very long but if seated deep on the cannalure works great as a subsonic load. It hits very hard and penetrates beyond belief at decent ranges. If you do minor feed ramp polishing this bullet should work well in the AR platform.
There is a company here in Texas that makes a hard cast 240gr bullet that is on the extreme for OAL but works great as a subsonic load as well. We did barrier penetration tests with this load and it exceeded the 405gr 45-70 load. But again, because of the flat nose on the bullet it may not function well in the semi-auto platform.
Just my 2 cents :roll:
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

The 110g Barnes that is NOT the black tip, I think its the 30821, is WAY to short, at least for the AR. I havent attempted to load them, but I got 2 boxes if anybody has any thoughts...

I got a 308 bolt gun though so I know I can use them for that at least at like 3200fps. Probably do some damage on deer.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner »

I Agree, I have fired the short 115 LRN, a cast carbine bullet from Hunter Supply, with no feeding issues at all, even when popping them off rapid fire. (from a mag-pul not a USGI mag)
TRP3

Post by TRP3 »

Great thread topic as I would also like to see some collected go/no go projectile data. Funny, on a whim I just bought some Speer 110gr TMJ RN's to try out and contemplated the potential for feed issues as well as how much bullet jump would be caused by the short OAL. I've had great success with all my loads of 125-168gr supersonic so just thought I'd give these a try . I will be shooting from an AR15 platform with a Black Hills Weaponry 16" SS 300 blk barrel with polygonal rifling. I'll post and update once fired.

Brand: Speer
Bullet Model/Line: TMJ
Bullet Weight: 110gr
Bullet Style/Description: Round Nose
Bullet Diameter: .308
Pwdr: MFG: Alliant MDL: PP MP-300 Gr: 18
COAL: 1.806
Magazine Used: 20rd C-Products Alum GI style (*slightly modified see below) w/ stock spring and Magpul yellow follower
QTY to test: 25

Issues : TBD

* I have found that with a simple modification to any GI style magazine, I have been able to prevent all feed issues with any of the cartridges of various make/model and weight projectiles that I have loaded and tested. Step1:From the inside of the magazine, remove the upper portion of the forward most large raised guide rib on each side with a Dremel small drum sander bit (coarse). When done correctly, this will leave a small teardrop shape/hole viewed from the outside of the mag. It should be an approx 1/8" wide hole. This allows the bullet ogive of the top two rounds the necessary space and to align properly just prior to cycling. Step 2: Using the Dremel, ease the upper surface of the middle small raised rib this is also to help reduce drag and snagging. Step 3: Using the Dremel, lightley de-burr the inside top side edges of the magazine opening if needed. This helps reduce friction on the cases. Step 4: Using the dremel, lightly remove the hard corner of the inside leading edge of the magazine exit. This prevents the case mouth from snagging on the inside edge as it exits from the mag and allows the projectile to ramp out more smoothly.

When done correctly you should be able to empty a fully loaded magazine with your thumb with little effort and no snags.
Pics to follow
threepdr

Post by threepdr »

Rumrunner wrote:I Agree, I have fired the short 115 LRN, a cast carbine bullet from Hunter Supply, with no feeding issues at all, even when popping them off rapid fire. (from a mag-pul not a USGI mag)
Rumrunner, what was your load with these? I loaded a few very light "single shot" loads for pest control in the back yard , but have not tried full loads. What powder and charge?

Thanks
Mark in Alabama

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

My historical novel The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou is availible at Amazon and other book sellers