Newbie questions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

karlglen101

Newbie questions

Post by karlglen101 »

I am picking up my first 300 BO upper this weekend. I have a 550b but am newer to reloading rifle. I've been reloading 45 for about a year now, and have ran a few hundred rounds for my 223. I've done a little reading here, and found great information. However, I keep reading terms that I'm not familiar with and there are a million ways to skin the cat. All help is appreciated.

1) I was thinking I would get 308 dies. Can I do this? I was thinking about going this route so that I'd also have the ability to load 308 as I'm also considering picking one up for hunting.

2) If I can go with the 308 dies, is this going to make my ability to load the BO any harder? If so, why?

3) I didn't know that you don't really need a crimp die for the 223 when I first started loading them. Is the same true for the 300 BO? I have read conflicting messages and am unsure which way is proper and why.

4) The total setup I'm considering is: 308 - 2 die set (Redding or Dillon?). That would include the sizing and seating dies, correct? Dillon AK powder funnel. A new tool head as I hate the idea of adjusting the dies each time. Existing powder dispenser setup w/ charge bar that I use for my 223.

Is there anything else I should consider? All answers, hints, tips, and suggestions are appreciated.
knoxville
Silent Operator

Re: Newbie questions

Post by knoxville »

First off, Welcome to the Blackout. It is addictive.

You can not use 308 dies. You have to have dies specific to each cartridge with the exception of things that are just long and short version of the same straight wall cartridge dimensions such as 38spl/357mag, 40s&w/10mm, 44spl/44mag.

To crimp or not to crimp is really your choice to a certain extent. Many have reported more constant velocities with a crimp, as well as reducing the possibility of the bullet getting pushed back in the semi auto action. I do prefer to crimp the Blackout, I use the Lee factory crimp die. I also crimp all of my 223, so take my opinion for what its worth.

As far as die brands go, get what you like if you can find it, however currently everything is in short supply and you may have to settle for a brand that is not on the top of your list.

I think you will find the Blackout just as easy to load for as the 45, due to the relatively straight small shoulder dimensions of the cartridge.
wcj

Post by wcj »

The Lee 300blk dies are currently available from Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/934234 ... ubv1935590

As is the Lee FCD.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/548891 ... OBv1934234
I'm a noob.
karlglen101

Post by karlglen101 »

Thank you! Ok, so I have to go with the 300 dies then. I like playing better safe then sorry, so I'll probably go with a crimp die then too. I am patient, so ordering and waiting will be fine. I've read a lot about the Lee Crimp die, so I'm guessing that would be the best route (based on word around the camp fire).
Another question I have to add to all of this, is converting my brass. I initially bought a Lee zip trim thinking that I would need it for my 223 (which I may as I get several loads through the brass). Can/should I use this to trim down the brass I have?

I know this will be addicting! I have an AAC 762-SDN6 on order that I'll run on this as well as my 223. My primary reasons for making this jump/addition (other than pure fun and why not) are for home defense and hunting option. I shoot 3 gun and love my DDM4. This is going to be a Wilson upper that I'll run on my DD lower. I'll post some pics when I get it all setup. I'm also building a spare PSA lower so that if my brother or friend wants to go out shooting, I'll have two full rifles.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

With the Lee 300 Blk dies, case forming is easy.
Lubricate the INSIDE of the neck with Lee case lube. Then push a 223 case into the sizing die until you feel the expander push through the neck. This expands the neck.
Withdraw the case and lube the shoulder and body of the case and push the case all the way into the die. This will push back the shoulder. When you withdraw the case you will have a 300 Blk case with a very long neck.
Cut off the long neck and trim to length, and you have a new 300 Blk case.

I was surprised how much easier it was to form cases with the Lee die. My old Redding 300/221 (300 Whisper) set gave me fits trying to form cases.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
Wrxkyle

Post by Wrxkyle »

what are your guys reccomendations for die sets? i just got my first press, a ch 333 3 position press, and i've been looking at the +-$30 die sets on midway, and then there are these MUCH more expensive 3 die sets, what differences am i looking at here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459622 ... c-blackout
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/680890 ... t-762x35mm

i'm just getting into ar's, 300blackout, and now reloading :) just bought this baby --> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... -old-press

so it is a bit much all at once but what advice do you more experienced folk have? especially concerning dies as they are one of those things that last a long long time and some may be crap and some may be better.

i may start casting the 247 grain noe bullets once i get a suppressor (this is turning out to be a year of many firsts, suppressor, reloading, ar15's, casting bullets)

my general future plan is to load barns blacktips in somewhat limited quantity for hunting, 308 pulldowns for cheap blasting/plinking, and 220otm and 247 noe cast for subsonic
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

80hp wrote:With the Lee 300 Blk dies, case forming is easy.
Lubricate the INSIDE of the neck with Lee case lube. Then push a 223 case into the sizing die until you feel the expander push through the neck. This expands the neck.
Withdraw the case and lube the shoulder and body of the case and push the case all the way into the die. This will push back the shoulder. When you withdraw the case you will have a 300 Blk case with a very long neck.
Dude! Cut the brass FIRST using a cop saw, dremel tool, etc.
then resize and final trim to length. Much easier!
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
karlglen101

Post by karlglen101 »

AR-300 wrote:
80hp wrote:With the Lee 300 Blk dies, case forming is easy.
Dude! Cut the brass FIRST using a cop saw, dremel tool, etc.
then resize and final trim to length. Much easier!
Thank you all for the help, it is greatly appreciated. God bless the inter-web.

Being that I've never had to size brass yet, I ask these questions:

Should I cut the brass down with my dremel, and then run it through the sizing die (first time around). Then make my final trim with the zip trim? The brass is going to stretch a little when I run it through the size die, right, so would this make sense? I know it will stretch width wise, but will sizing it for the first time cause it to stretch longer for any reason?

I'm off to pick up my upper in about 2 minutes =D
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Yes the brass will grow in length when sized. I cut mine off at shoulder first, then size, and trim to length. Easy!